View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Dec 11, 2019 1:59 pm

Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Welcome! 
Site Admin

I'm programming as fast as I can! At this point I can pretty much play the core game, but there are a few key things that are still pretty obviously broken that I want to fix. My top priority right now is getting the basics playable. It should be less than a month. Once you guys have your hands on it and I've fixed any immediate issues, I'll go back to adding more kinds of weapons and cloaking devices and stuff!

Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:47 am

*Applause*

Code, code like the wind!

Sun Feb 02, 2014 3:37 am

Once you get the game ready for us, know that I like to do things to the best of my ability.

For example, play http://www.kongregate.com/games/Flashba ... te=shellc#

It's a customizable ship game as well, and I filled that build screen full. If you don't have a build screen, I'd like to see what I could make. :P

This was my second attempt at a broken ship after people realized they could run away from missiles. So I switched to beam weapons.

This is a droner ship I made after realizing how OP drones could be when I put 240 stackable passive drone upgrades on the ship.

When you add physics and thruster placement, so many combinations of ship :D

Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:29 pm
Site Admin

Wow. I am really impressed!
I am shooting for alpha release before the end of February, and I'm super excited to see what you guys build!

The main game part has a build screen somewhat the one in ShellCore, but it zooms so you can build arbitrarily large ships (if you are high enough level). The alpha will also include the separate editor tool I built for development purposes which is a little harder to use (I'll provide instructions) but more flexible than the in game build screen and completely unlocked - you can do things like spawn fleets of ships, save workspaces, etc.

I made a railgun doom machine inspired by your Shellcore Command ship. It's not very pretty but the projectile patterns are nice: http://www.anisopteragames.com/?p=95. Attached a screenshot of a battle I created with the editor.

Attachments:
Screen Shot 2014-02-04 at 3.38.19 AM.png
Screen Shot 2014-02-04 at 3.38.19 AM.png [ 945.68 KiB | Viewed 5072 times ]
Tue Feb 04, 2014 5:28 am

Trust me Arthur.

Knowing what Camo5 has made in shellcore command.

Prepare to see something from him that WILL kill your engine.

Tue Feb 04, 2014 5:35 am

I'll be starting out small and making high range high damage fighters to kill the stations, then move my way up :D

Also, darty was the one who went crazy with BSF and broke the game down to 1 frame per 10 seconds. I like to keep a framerate of at least 20,if not 60.

Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:11 am

Camo is not the only one who tries to do things to the best of his ability. I believe this core has gone a step further, by compressing 30 extra parts into 3 spaces. It also has significantly greater drone power, though less drone spawns.

Please, for the love of God do not make the build screen infinitely large, because then Camo and I will probably spend way too much time attempting to make the most powerful ship possible. Or if you want to make it infinitely large, put some restrictions on the number of parts somehow. A restriction that cannot be bypassed in any way.

I'm fine with a sandbox ship builder with infinite parts/build space, like in BSF.

Tue Feb 04, 2014 4:05 pm

Personally I see no appeal to the "Everything is unlocked, do whatever you want" mentality, or at least not when the game has progression.

I feel my creations are much more significant when I have to work for them, however when I reach a goal I like to make a new goal and just continue, but I don't think a limit should be imposed, perhaps a fully zoomed out screen would be the max build window.

Tue Feb 04, 2014 4:35 pm

I must agree with camo5.

Having everything unlocked would stunt the feeling of progress.

I would rather have to work hard to get that megabooster, or that Auto-cannon.

Tue Feb 04, 2014 4:52 pm
Site Admin

Points well taken. It's hard for me to resist bragging about the engine limits a little because I spent so much time optimizing it, but the last thing I want to do is make it tedious or unsatisfying. The game itself has well defined progression where you start out small and gradually find new blocks and make a larger ship, don't worry!

What is BSF?

Tue Feb 04, 2014 5:16 pm
Reply to topic   [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next