View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:32 am

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Hello, I'm Nate 

I guess I missed the step of introducing myself.

I'm Nate. I started playing Reassembly quite some time ago. But I recently started playing again pretty hardcore a couple months ago. I also just started modding the game in the last month, and released my first mod a few days ago.

I'm a computer programmer. Mostly complex web development, system integration, and productivity software. But I dabble in game programming, which tends to mean making mods or experimenting with game engines. My most extensive mods have been for things like Morrowind and Oblivion. But thus far, I've greatly enjoyed making Reassembly mods.

I play a wide variety of games (you can look me up on Steam if you want specifics, my username is CARPE.NOCTEM.LXIX), but my all time favorites, since I was a kid have been space shoot 'em ups and building games. Which I guess explains why I like Reassembly. I also appreciate that it is stable, that the developer is active, and that the community seems helpful and friendly. Another similar-genre game I liked, which shall remain nameless, has none of those things and it has ruined the game.

Well, that's about all I have to say for now. If you want to know anything else, just ask, I'm an open book.

Sat Jul 23, 2016 8:37 pm

Welcome Nate. Hope you enjoy your time here.

Yup, Reassembly modding is pretty easy and accessible compared to a lot of other games. Have fun. :)

Sun Jul 24, 2016 6:19 am

Greetings Nate!

I implore you to tell us the name of this game you no longer like!!! DON'T KEEP SECRETS THAT COULD HARM PEOPLE'S FEELINGS. WE DON'T FUCKING CARE ABOUT FEELINGS

Welcome to the forums ^_^ I am the mod, do as you will. Everything is encouraged except links to viruses.

Mon Jul 25, 2016 5:36 pm

Quote:
Another similar-genre game I liked, which shall remain nameless, has none of those things and it has ruined the game.

You went to wyrdysm too?

Muzzle Brake. Because not everyone is a fan of Noisy Crickets!

Empire of the Red Sun

Mon Jul 25, 2016 5:50 pm

Camo5 wrote:
Everything is encouraged except links to viruses.

Just don't get more posts than Camo5. It's not strictly a rule, but it's never happened before and we're not sure how the world would handle it.

We have a Discord, too

Mon Jul 25, 2016 11:51 pm

Camo5 wrote:
Greetings Nate!

I implore you to tell us the name of this game you no longer like!!! DON'T KEEP SECRETS THAT COULD HARM PEOPLE'S FEELINGS. WE DON'T FUCKING CARE ABOUT FEELINGS

Welcome to the forums ^_^ I am the mod, do as you will. Everything is encouraged except links to viruses.

Nice to meet you, sir! I've been a fan of your work for a while, though some of it has slaughtered mine.

The name of the other game is Gimbal. Fun concept; but trash network code, rampant and unrestrained hacking/abuse, and an absent dev have pretty much killed it.

I'll keep my virus links to myself.

Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:06 pm

Gimbal, hm? Was it really that bad? When I played the demo (don't judge, I couldn't convince my parents to shove money at a game) it seemed really fun.

Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:16 pm

Hehe, I've had some time to tinker and experiment. I eventually reached a plateau and ran out of lots of spare time, so I taught a few people my ways of wisdom ;)

I actually spent a good 150 hours playing gimbal ^_^ It's a neat concept (Just like starfighter: disputed galaxy, poor game :( ) but had the flaw of being only usable against completely incompetent ai or very few hardcore humans/hackers.

Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:30 pm

Starficz wrote:
Gimbal, hm? Was it really that bad? When I played the demo (don't judge, I couldn't convince my parents to shove money at a game) it seemed really fun.

It's not a bad game. It's mainly the fact that it's been pretty much abandoned that makes it lame now. It never had a huge community, but at one point you could find several people online easily. But now, if you find anyone online, it is usually one guy who must sit around just waiting 'cause he'll log-on within minutes of joining a public server. He has several glitched/hacked ship designs that abuse the physics of the game and which no legit ship has a chance against. My brother and I have spent several hours hunting him with our most optimized legit ships, and even managed to score a couple kills, but due to the glitched nature of his ships they aren't stealable (not that we wanted glitched ships, but we wanted to drive him away).

I offered assistance to the dev if he needed game or forum moderators to help deal with such abuse, but never heard back. And, since the game has not been updated since, and it appears the dev has a new job, it seems unlikely that the situation will improve.

Honestly though, the game is worth the money. It's a lot of fun to build ships and single player (self-hosted private servers) can be fun for a while.

Camo5 wrote:
Hehe, I've had some time to tinker and experiment. I eventually reached a plateau and ran out of lots of spare time, so I taught a few people my ways of wisdom ;)

I actually spent a good 150 hours playing gimbal ^_^ It's a neat concept (Just like starfighter: disputed galaxy, poor game :( ) but had the flaw of being only usable against completely incompetent ai or very few hardcore humans/hackers.

Whoa! Never met anyone else who's played it. I've only got like 138 hours. Don't know if it's acceptable to suggest such a thing, but maybe sometime we should have a Gimbal battle for Reassembly players. Haha!

Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:09 pm

Also played a bit of Gimbal too! Although I spend most of my time on multiplayer games, Gimbal just didn't suit me for some reason; I find that the repeat-ability of AI-piloted design makes it easier to perfect ship designs instead of getting hung up on figuring out which server to join, how long to wait for more people to connect, or just getting distracted by thinking if you just need to be a better pilot in general... Also the way the Reassembly competitions are structured allows us to have friendly competitive combat without needing to happen on joining the same server at the same time, which is useful for keeping the community alive :D

Murderballs Faction Mod ver 1.2

Join us at our Reassembly Discord!

Tue Jul 26, 2016 11:39 pm
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next