View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:51 am

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
What mods have you played? 

Thought I'd start this discussion because there are a lot of good mods out there. I was considering putting this in general, but I think this should do.

Where to even begin... Okay if you want some background about the typical galaxy I play in, it has changed quite a bit. At first I played all the vanilla factions more or less in order (Red Faction as the second faction was insanely frustrating as a noob, but rewarding). I always play through the game doing the following, more or less:
1) Kill all ~2000p agents
2) Secure the middle stations
3) Enter the wormhole nearest to sector 26x26
4) Kill all ~8000p agents
5) Secure the middle stations
6) Enter the wormhole nearest to sector 26x26 (Or stay, depending on how much I enjoy playing the faction)
7) Repeat 4~6 until thoroughly amused. (Or skip this step as per step 6)
8) Start new faction at step 1

I used to do this with 3 mods enabled (including the one I was playing) and kAgentMaxDeadly = 89000 kAgentMaxShips = 81. I've since reduced my kAgentMaxDeadly to 35000 though, simply because I don't have time for the large all-in fight anymore (increased minDeadly to 26909 though). On top of that, I have a (heavily) modded version of Cybran Nation always enabled, and another mod that has a lot of harass ships that I made myself (which I really should post... although for some reason I can't upload it to workshop). Essentially though, I made it so that there are regions where you have to bring a decent amount of varying arsenal to make the cut, or die. I also, since playing it right before GATC's mods, enable Black Diamond Crystallite, because I like the challenge they bring to the mid-map and they only seem to appear after the first wormhole which is nifty.

Anyways so I cycled through a tonne of mods, I'm finally down to playing GATC's mods (which have been a rollercoaster ride and a half) and just thought I'd share my list and see what everyone else has played. I generally avoided mods that seemed OP right from the workshop page, and mods with lasers (because.. reasons).

Apologies for the maybe incorrect z0biesrock faction names, as I usually wrote them down from whatever the startership was named. For MOST of these I have custom ships which extend up and into 8000p.. with a couple rare exceptions where I just took uber designs from the warships available (like Carnivorous Space Elves..)

14th Colony
Abyssal Legion
Aer (Winds of a faction)
Aquatic
Black Diamond Crystallite
Bombardiers
ConFederation
Carnivorous Space Elves
Coral
Cubic Zirconia
Cybran
Dark Crystal (Basically just crystalline..)
Deep Void
Dimension Shifter
Electroids
Elementals
Exodus
Far Collective
Flame
Frozen
Heirs to the Void I
Heirs to the Void II
Helios
High Garan
Imperium
Junker
Junker The Impossible Faction
Kaelar
Laporien
Light
Lords of Soil
Marklob
Meat
Organic Alien (Not yet on workshop, working title)
Parasitic
Praetor
Replican
Roiders (not yet full playthrough)
Salt
Faction of S.A.M.
Shell
Spikes
Stubborn Sparks
Terraquan
Triumvirate
Void Raptors
Vulcan (don't judge me I was curious and the workshop page has little information)

The list will grow I'm sure (I currently have all GATC mods enabled and I'm almost through them). If anyone wants me to post some ships for any faction I'd be more than glad to.

Feel free to add me on steam too.
Steam name: SUDDExc

Last edited by Corpsey on Sat Apr 30, 2016 6:53 am, edited 2 times in total.

Wed Apr 06, 2016 5:12 am

Triumvirate and Roiders but no Infraspatia or SCR? :<

• InfraSpatia - Disjointed aliens with spinal guns
  • Systems Coalition Remnant - Turbo-rectangles with stacking guns
  • Roiders - Cities and drills
Make your own with the Reassembly Web Development Kit!

Wed Apr 06, 2016 7:42 am

I could try them eventually, I've been really busy lately. You'll also notice I haven't even touched the star wars factions or M_Gamelin's mods... because most of the mods I've played were added in August/September/October, and it takes a lot of effort to get to the middle with some of the factions I've listed. In fact it was impossible for some, like Junkers The Impossible Faction and High Garan (no unit production = raped by fleets).

Wed Apr 06, 2016 3:23 pm

I found the High Garan relatively easy. Especially when you drop several carriers, or stations then run.

Wed Apr 06, 2016 4:08 pm

Hm maybe post the ship you were using? In the galaxy I have set up, the High Garan don't stand a chance... because there's not enough point defense to deal with missile barrages or any real tactical way to deploy drones without having the drone launchers get blown off by harass ships. It was just not possible... once the drones die, if I don't escape with enough thrusters, it was basically a downhill battle where there was nothing to retreat towards.

Actually maybe I was playing wrong... but there were no other ships, right? Like there was nothing you could even 'hire' for credits... I just remember it being almost impossible to move out at a pace that was sufficient enough for even beating vanilla nevertheless 35000p (fleet) agents. And I tried pretty hard.... I mean even with red faction I was able to complete this with 89000p agents simply because I was able to amass a fleet, which is not possible with High Garan.

Wed Apr 06, 2016 6:12 pm

Sadly, I deleted the save file some time ago...

However I modeled the hull after a boeing 747 with most of the thrusters facing forward. The core was located in between the wings, and the drone launchers were recessed into the hull slightly behind the wings.

My main strategy was to rush through the enemy a high speeds, deploy my drones, then hide behind an asteroid for cover while. If that didn't work I would reconfigure my payload, or switch to a more maneuverable thruster configuration.

Damn, now I want to play that faction again!

Wed Apr 06, 2016 8:27 pm

Yeah if I tried that in my galaxy, I'd be nuked to pieces.. there's no "rush through the enemy" strat that would work :\

Wed Apr 06, 2016 8:31 pm

I usually don't download nuke mods...

Wed Apr 06, 2016 8:35 pm

Hm, they're not even hard to beat nukes though, but against High Garan there was just no way to set things to point defense manually so there was no way to beat them. Also I wasn't using recessed launchers because I've had bad experiences in the past with them... maybe I'll try again way down the road, but honestly even an 8k High Garan ship against any other 8k ship just didn't hold it's own weight. I even think my 8k Red Faction ship was able to beat it...

Edit: Okay, recessed done launchers are definitely the way to go... There really should've been more explanation on the safe havens saying that they are permanent, and stations. It's not mentioned anywhere on the constructor screen.

Wed Apr 06, 2016 8:54 pm

*Passing by*
You know that you could say that on the mod page for me to have a look, right ;p

The fighters weapons are set to auto-fire. If you put the launcher into a PD mod, the fighter will try to focus on the missiles (sometimes taking them head on, useful against high damage missile ;p)

Against Red, all the LASER based ship (the LASER Frigates, the Destroyers and the Cruisers) can rape them, hard, at long range.

Thu Apr 07, 2016 4:00 am
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next