View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:28 pm

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
January 21st update: New "slow winding" thruster feature.... 

Hello everyone,

In the Reassembly Steam news page, the January 21st update log suggest a way to "Allow mods to set thrusterBoost < 0 for slow wind up thrusters."

A few months back, I suggested this idea to Arthur. My goal was to create a RetroThruster block that would output, say, 10% of it's power for the first 3 seconds then, after that, kick in a 100%. For Thruster block definition, we have the following related properties: thrusterForce, thrusterBoost and thrusterBoostTime.

So, defining a standard booster thruster we could use these values:

thrusterForce=10000
thrusterBoost=5
thrusterBoostTime=2

That would give us a thruster that output 50000 for the first two seconds then fall back to 10000 after that.

Now, suppose we want to define a retrothruster or "slow winding thruster", we could, according to the latest update log, use these:

thrusterForce=10000
thrusterBoost=-5
thrusterBoostTime=2

Now, if we do the math, this doesn't make any sense and it actually do not work in the game at this moment. I tried it. I tried various negative values without any expected result...

Logically, the way to define this would be as follow:

thrusterForce=50000
thrusterBoost=0.2
thrusterBoostTime=2

This should give us a retrothruster that, for the first 2 seconds, output 20% of it's power, 10000, and after that kick in at 100% for 50000.

Anyone can comment of this? Anyone found a way to actually make a "slow winding thruster" work?

Thu Jan 21, 2016 2:14 pm

I'd say -0.8 is the number you are looking for. 80% less thrust for the first X seconds.

That said, your testing suggests something is up, still. I haven't tried it myself yet, but next time I do I'll take a look. I'd wanted this for the cruise engine in Infraspatia, but I ended up going with an engine which saps power instead since it wasn't in at the time.

• InfraSpatia - Disjointed aliens with spinal guns
  • Systems Coalition Remnant - Turbo-rectangles with stacking guns
  • Roiders - Cities and drills
Make your own with the Reassembly Web Development Kit!

Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:54 pm

Since the boost is a multiplier, Wouldn't it simply be a positive decimal? .2 and such? i'd guess putting a negative in would cause the thrusters to try to go in reverse.

Fri Feb 05, 2016 6:50 am

cxxccxxc wrote:
Since the boost is a multiplier, Wouldn't it simply be a positive decimal? .2 and such? i'd guess putting a negative in would cause the thrusters to try to go in reverse.

You're giving me ideas~

Reassembly x10

Sun Feb 07, 2016 2:07 am

After doing some more testings, the method TTFTCUTS described (use -0.8 for a boost reduction of 20%) seems to produce better results. However, the thrusters are just as described "slow winding", i.e they start outputting at a lower value and increase their output linearly over the course of thrusterBoostTime seconds until they reach thrusterForce power (from what I was able to see). I was, somehow, expecting "reduced output to maximal output" behavior without interpolation in-between. I quickly realized that usage for such "slow winding" thrusters is questionable, in my opinion...

Tue Feb 09, 2016 5:16 pm

That's pretty disappointing. I was hoping for low power and then a boost kicking in, but I suppose that can still fulfil the purpose of an engine which is good for travel but bad for manoeuvring.

• InfraSpatia - Disjointed aliens with spinal guns
  • Systems Coalition Remnant - Turbo-rectangles with stacking guns
  • Roiders - Cities and drills
Make your own with the Reassembly Web Development Kit!

Tue Feb 09, 2016 5:22 pm

And if you put a thruster without winding effect, the thruster give full thrust instantly XD

Wed Feb 10, 2016 1:25 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]