View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Sep 22, 2019 4:13 pm

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
Trying to make a new type of laser, need some help. 

So, basically, i want to make a railgun-ish weapon, and by that i mean instant damage, so it has to be the hitscan laser, right? Since having such speeds on a projectile would just make the collision detection wonky. But i still want the laser to function like a normal cannon in that it has a "reload time", if you get what i mean. No matter what i do, whenever i try the different laser compositions, it always begins to charge a new laser the moment the previous one has ended, or it has the usual wave pattern you find on some of the other lasers. so how would i add this down time to the lasers, like a projectile weapon has?

Sat Oct 24, 2015 6:02 pm

Note: I have no experience in modding, so take my advice with a grain of salt.

Not certain about this, but I *think* it should be possible to effectively do what you're describing by making a charging laser with a minimum charge time value which is the same as its maximum charge time, with both being equal to the desired "reload" length. This will still make it begin to charge as soon as the previous shot has fired, but it won't be able to actually fire again until it reaches whatever you've set the minimum and maximum charge time values to. Not quite the same as adding a reload time, but it does the same thing.

Sat Oct 24, 2015 6:23 pm

Seconding Owlfeathers' suggestion. The Burst Laser and Obliterator come to mind. Both work similar to what you're suggesting, although the Burst Laser has a very short minimum charge time that makes it look like it's always firing. Watch the Obliterator in action and you'll see about how I think it should be done, using charge times and just accepting that the game will treat it as a beam weapon.

We have a Discord, too

Sat Oct 24, 2015 11:30 pm

I *Think* that you can achieve a similar effect without charging, iirc some/all of the farmer lasers actually fire in pulses, but they are so rapid that it's hard to tell.
So by making the pulses much less frequent you'd be able to get the effect you desire.

Sun Oct 25, 2015 1:23 am

Thanks for your replies, i appreciate the help.

I have tried out both of the methods, and the "charge laser" is the best alternative compared to the "slow pulses", since even when reducing the frequency of the pulses, it will spread the damage over the long pulse, while the fire rate is good, the laser uses way too long to "die down" if you get what i mean, and this means i won't get that instant delivery of damage i'm looking for. The problem with the charge lasers is how the AI holds them in, just to release them when they feel like it.
If you discover any alternatives, do tell!

Sun Oct 25, 2015 3:55 am

Hamiradon wrote:
Thanks for your replies, i appreciate the help.

I have tried out both of the methods, and the "charge laser" is the best alternative compared to the "slow pulses", since even when reducing the frequency of the pulses, it will spread the damage over the long pulse, while the fire rate is good, the laser uses way too long to "die down" if you get what i mean, and this means i won't get that instant delivery of damage i'm looking for. The problem with the charge lasers is how the AI holds them in, just to release them when they feel like it.
If you discover any alternatives, do tell!

I think the AI does the "celebratory shot" thing with any weapon type, it's just more apparent because beams don't typically miss. I think they'll do it with every weapon, but most are just firing bullets everywhere anyway and so a few stray bullets are hard to notice, especially on the seeking weapons like guided missiles and drones.

We have a Discord, too

Sun Oct 25, 2015 4:33 am

Look at that mod block.lua for laser that don't last long ;p
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f ... =466863029

Tue Oct 27, 2015 11:48 am
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]