View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:51 pm

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
Parsing Error 

Tried my hand at simple block creation tonight, with confusingly dismal results.
I wanted to create a clone of the F5 seed launcher for the F8 Terrans, and no matter what I tried, I kept getting the same error:
Code:
expected '{' in blocks.lua
{8001,
^

I have some background in coding - hell, it's what I went to college for! I understand that the game seems to be looking for the correct bracket.
There's just one problem: IT'S FLUFFIN' THERE ALREADY.

*facedesk*

I'm probably missing something stupid simple, but I searched and searched, and could not find an answer for this particular riddle.
I messed with cvars, I got the blocks.lua to pop, I added the line that would make the game use it, and that seemed to break everything.
I made a mod folder with a cloned blocks.lua, stripped out everything but the new piece, and no matter what I did, I kept getting the parsing error.
So I made a backup of blocks.lua and edited the original directly, and the game loaded nothing.
I figure there's a syntax issue somewhere, but damned if I know what it is. Anyone have a parts mod I can look at the files for, get an idea of what I've done wrong?
*And please, do not point me to the Steam workshop, it's refusing to download or even register my subscribed mods, even after reinstalling the whole game. Direct files only, I beg of you.

Tue Sep 15, 2015 12:50 am

If you post the file, we could take a look at it.

Are you using Notepad++? The formatting really helps to see syntax errors.

If there's no syntax error, maybe a hidden character snuck in? I don't know if it'll work, but you can try converting the encoding to UTF-8 BOM.

Tue Sep 15, 2015 5:09 am

Sounds like an errant quotation mark or something somewhere.

Seconding "post the file so we can see".

We have a Discord, too

Tue Sep 15, 2015 4:51 pm

I had not been using Notepad++, just regular notepad. I deleted the original versions because broken, but after using N++ to redo my simple edit, it appears to be working just fine.
Attachment:
terran_seed.zip [560 Bytes]
Downloaded 156 times

So I guess that's the end of that. Lesson learned: Use the proper tools!

EDIT:
Well, that is apparently not the end of that.

The whole point of creating a Terran seed-planter was to alleviate the issue of having my design "Locked" for use of encrypted blocks, which is apparently what happens when you make illegal designs with multi-faction blocks. I'd initially tried using the Faction 2 planter and ran into this very issue. I can use a factory to build them, of course, but since they don't reliably start planting my asteroid depots, they're only so much wasted R. Anytime I try and mount this on my ship, it whines at me about encrypted blocks and refuses to generate.

Solution?

Tue Sep 15, 2015 6:01 pm

Kieve wrote:
Solution?

Found here, for those not already aware of it.

I'm a dunce. I read that one already, and I feel like a complete fool now for not remembering it.
My F8 "Sower" seed-launcher is now available for purchase, works as intended, and is not causing any more "encrypted" issues.
The resulting seed is refusing to grow, and lags my game horribly, so there's still kinks to work out. But hey! It works! Progress, right?

Tue Sep 15, 2015 9:04 pm

The way I solved this issue was to set the save's known block and palette block id's to every block in the game, minus a few cores I didn't want. That way the game assumed I was every faction at once. The only downside is you have to use the default color palette for every faction, resulting in rainbow ships.

Thu Sep 17, 2015 4:06 pm

Could the THRUSTER attribute be preventing your seeds from growing?
I know the normal seeds have thruster, but the crop seeds do not. Since they are set as launching, could that be an issue?

Also, I think the group for your seeds should be the same as the launcher (8). The faction tag should still be 5.

Thu Sep 17, 2015 7:33 pm

sumplkrum wrote:
Could the THRUSTER attribute be preventing your seeds from growing?
I know the normal seeds have thruster, but the crop seeds do not. Since they are set as launching, could that be an issue?

Also, I think the group for your seeds should be the same as the launcher (8). The faction tag should still be 5.

That's an outdated file. The current one actually functions more or less perfectly.
Attachment:
terran_sower.zip [3.27 KiB]
Downloaded 142 times

I'm still trying to figure out exactly why defining a new seed root caused failure (I suspect because there are no "growths" defined in /ships/ for them, but they have a 10s time-out in the Sandbox before despawning, so making a new plant with them and exporting it is intensely frustrating to say the least).
For now, I'm using "5303" root, which does have some plants already, no despawning issues, and the mod file above includes a few extra variations I made as well. The "8_sower" ship is not useable - merely a command block with two Sowers strapped to the sides, so that the device appears in the faction Upgrade tab. That was the problem I'd been having, primarily - it didn't show up and was counting as a locked part. The guide I linked mentions specifically that for a part to be introduced, it has to have a ship with that part defined as well.

Thu Sep 17, 2015 10:21 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]