View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Sep 19, 2019 5:06 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
Titan Mod [WIP] 

Since the steam workshop doesn't seem to like my computer, this forum seems like the ideal spot to share a mod I've been working on for the last 3 days.

I basically made this as a means of learning what all I could get out of the game with simple text edits.. The result was nice enough for me to want to share.

Idea behind the mod:
I wanted more difficulty in mid/late game as I could kill nearly everything once I hit 4-5k P and "beat the game" in only 1-2 hours. At first I added more agents, then added more custom ships for the AI to use.. It was still too easy. Thus, I created a custom faction with 20-60K death machines.

The new faction has very deadly, very expensive blocks. This allows me to crank up the difficulty without sacrificing frame rates by making a massive 60K ship with vanilla blocks. All titans have large energy reserves but slow recharge and weapons soak up a ton of power. This equates to about 5 seconds of pure death then 20-30 recharge.

What the mod does:
Regions.lua; increased map size, massively increased P cap in center of each sector (4-5 "Titans" spawn in center, none on edge during testing)
Factions.lua; adds the Titan faction
Cvars; increased P limit to 100k, starting P and C set to 30k
blocks.lua; adds 108 custom blocks, most of which are hull blocks
(108 "prototype X" should not show up in game unless I messed something up, this is a block that I was testing things out on.... like, exploding laser fire) If the AI gets this block, you will instantly die.
Ships; adds 74 custom ships for the AI to use. Each faction has it's own "custom" Titan. (I made 1, and tweaked it slightly for each faction)

The Titans:
Terran (Lasers and cannons)
Tinkrell (13 modular cannons :twisted: )
Sentinels (nukes)
Farmers (mortars)
Bee (lasers)
Crystal (missles)
This one needs a better design as making square parts look good with penrose is a major pain. And I am NOT making new items just for one faction. I also hate building with these guys. Everything I try looks like crap.
Reds (none, see above)
Borg (nothing worth noting, where new faction started, original designs included but not very borg like)

I'm at the point in the mod where I'm just tweaking the numbers to make the Titans EXTREMELY difficult but not too OP. Think of them as a final boss. So far, a 8K ship from a previous save can kill a 20K AI ship and a better outfitted 20K can kill a titan as long as you time it well. I'm also trying to create more ships in the 20-40k range for the AI but I'm having a bit of "writers block" and end up just creating a bunch of flying squares. If anyone gets bit by the design bug, more interesting designs would be more than welcome. Building ships for 7 factions at once tends to get repetitive after a bit. Currently, all designs included are my own unless I accidentally copied over some extra_ships.

Attachments:
Titansmod.zip [121.63 KiB]
Downloaded 168 times
Sat Sep 05, 2015 5:59 pm

The guns in your mod seem rather OP just looking at the barrels...

Sat Sep 05, 2015 9:48 pm

Rather than all very clearly being based off the same hull, I think it'd look a lot better if each faction had a unique design (and used the correct sorts of blocks)

For gameplay, i'd think that a titan ship would be most fun to fight if it had a very slow tracking/spinal main gun that you *can* avoid, but that will tear through even the toughest 8K ship, backed up with a set or more "normal" guns/missiles that are harder/impossible to avoid.

Sun Sep 06, 2015 1:27 am

Awesome idea and looks like pretty solid work so far. Also, I think you should call tyne Farmer Titan "Reaper".

Tue Sep 08, 2015 9:00 am

Yeah, it's certainly far from finished. (Hence, the [WIP] in the title) There's still lots to tweak in regards to numbers, not just designs. The faction titans were never meant to be the end result, I just needed placeholders to test against. Basically it's just a proof of concept build version, hence one main hull design for each titan. Later I'll actually play though each faction and create a mega ship that's more custom. Hell, if you think that's bad... The stations are all exactly the same, boring squares, cause that's what I used to unlock the parts.

I put this on the side burner lately cause I just ended up building the same exact ship over and over again... As well as having too much fun blowing up asteroids with my exploding laser beams.

Wed Sep 09, 2015 2:17 pm

You could crowdsource the Titan construction. Get people to submit 10K designs and then run them through tournaments to decide on one. That way you could make a competition with a prize - your design becoming a Titan.

Thu Sep 10, 2015 10:01 am
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]