View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:46 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
Video on how to make mods (Request) 

I have tried to follow multiple guides on how to do so but nothing good has come up so far.

Im trying export and edit my terran faction save slot but parts go missing such as the blast pulser and 2nd biggest thruster.
I tried editing and adding new blocks but they don't appear and my mod becomes a mess.

These guides aren't informative enough or I probably just suck.

A video from showing how from start to finish would be appreciated.
(Thanks in advance)

Sun Aug 30, 2015 7:59 am

I'm not sure I'll be doing a video....actually, the idea hadn't even crossed my mind until just now despite having all of the resources I'd need to do so...But I suppose I could think about it unless someone else with a cooler accent than me gets to it first (American accent pretty low on the totem pole of cool as far as that goes...).

Anyhow, I've sort of slowly been putting together my own system for getting a new mod going which includes a very heavily commented blocks.lua template that I wrote up for a friend who just didn't have the drive despite the crutches I offered him.

Is there a particular area that you're having a problem with that maybe I could help with now, pre-possible-video-tutorial? It sounds like just getting the blocks that you want into your mod is the issue you're currently facing?

Fri Sep 18, 2015 6:47 pm

I only got this game earlier this year, but I've started modding blocks and factions within 16 hours of owning it...
So if you have any specific questions, shoot!

Quote:
adding new blocks but they don't appear

Do they not appear when using the console command "palette #" or in the Upgrade menu?
And are you familiar with how to use the console, in the latter case?

Sat Sep 19, 2015 2:12 pm

Blocks are missing from the upgrade menu. Entirely no experience with the console and just trying to do it out of guides only in words. My plan was to copy and paste a default Terran save file but even just doing that leads to the problems I had mentioned before.

Sun Sep 20, 2015 10:38 am

Time to get out the reading glasses!

Any mod starts by creating a folder called "mods" (without the "") inside the Reassembly folder here:
Code:
C:\Users\YOURUSERNAME\Saved Games\Reassembly

Inside that folder, add another one, named after whatever you want to call your mod, eg:
Code:
C:\Users\YOURUSERNAME\Saved Games\Reassembly\mods\AwesomeFaction8Blocks

In order to add blocks to the game, add two things inside: Yet another folder called "ships" and a text file.
The file will be called "new.txt" or something similar. Rename that file to "blocks.lua". Make sure the file ending changes, too!

Before we go on from here, make sure you have a decent text editor at hand, I suggest https://notepad-plus-plus.org/download/v6.8.3.html
With that text editor, open your blocks.lua and add the type the following:
Code:
{

}

Between the brackets, you can now add the tables, describing the blocks you want to add, for example like this:
Code:
{

{
    shape=ISOTRI_72,
    scale=8,
    name="Paragon",
    features=PHOTOSYNTH|GENERATOR,
    group=69,
    points=4536,
    durability=2.500,
    density=3.000,
    fillColor=0x990000,
    fillColor1=0x440000,
    lineColor=0x111100,
    capacity=0.000,
    blurb="Massive heavy fission reactor. Probably not quite safe.",
    photosynthPerSec=21.600,
    powerCapacity=0.000,
    capacity=0.000,
    generatorCapacityPerSec=7128.000
    }

}

Now to your specific problems:

The disappearance of blocks is most of the time caused by one of two things. Either you have assigned the same block ID (the number at the beginning of your block) twice, in which case the second block with that ID overwrites the existence of the first.
Or you used the wrong syntax somewhere in the file.
Open the game and select the "Mods" section. This should contain your own mod and a an error message. Click the button with red text. If it says something like "parsing error yadayada" you have a typo in your blocks.lua. If the error mentions IDs, you probably have assigned the same ID twice.

If it's an ID thing, just assign a different one, but make sure to pick IDs between 1 and 199 or 17000 and 26000, otherwise you will overwrite blocks that already exist ingame.
If it's a syntax problem... Check all commas and maybe look for values with typos. Or missing = and " symbols. Those are my own, most common mistakes;)

Quote:
Blocks are missing from the upgrade menu

The game only shows blocks in the upgrade menu, that are already part of a ship in the faction's fleet.

How can a block be added to a ship, if the block can't be unlocked and therefore not be used in the ship builder? Simple.
Code:
It's command line time! =]

First, open the sandbox from the main menu.
Then move the mouse cursor over the text field at the top of the screen, type in
Code:
palette 8

and confirm with ENTER.
This commands spawns all and every block of the 8th faction (Terrans) into empty space.
Now move the cursor away from the text field and press "3" on your keyboard. That will switch the sandbox into build mode. Now you can drag, copy (hold ALT) and delete (DEL) parts, just like you can with the ship builder!

Pick the block that your mod added and attach it to any legit ship design (a command module and a thruster are required). If you are happy with your creation, select the entire ship, by left click/holding and dragging a frame around it.
Move the cursor back to the text field and use the command
Code:
ssave NewShip

to save the new design. You can obviously name it whatever you want...
Exit the game!

The new design will be save to
Code:
C:\Users\YOURUSERNAME\Saved Games\Reassembly\data\ships

Copy that file to the "ships" folder inside your mod's folder:
Code:
C:\Users\YOURUSERNAME\Saved Games\Reassembly\mods\YOURMOD\ships

Next time you start the game, you'll be able to unlock your new block and use it in your ships!

Tue Sep 22, 2015 10:12 am
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]