View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Sep 22, 2019 11:53 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
"Feathered Spirit" Heavy BCV: Mod of Zarya-class 

My modification of the Zarya class Battlecarrier by CSJM.

This modification of BCV design utilizes unique "layering feathered armor" to maximum potential, including against swarms, heavy-punchers and aoe-based builds, without adding too much mass. It has been designed like the battleships of old: heavily armed, heavily armored, and able to withstand at least a full salvo of its own calibar. This ship has incredible frontal armor, and the side armor can withstand any amount of small-arms fire. I have also optimized positioning of internal components, so that even if the ships is heavily damaged, it will still possess powerful combat capability, reminiscent of the compartmentalized designs of battleships.

This ship possesses of both powerful frontal siege weapons and close-combat skirmish secondary turrets, for both manual and automatic fighting. The ship is slightly more sluggish than the original version, because of the vastly improved armoring. However, it is still capable of drifting maneuverability for tactical combat and good rotating, for positioning frontal weapons, or re-positioning to present a new side of armor. Compared to the original version, this ship is designed more for skirmishes and all-round battle capability instead of a strike-based capital ship. With this battleship you can confidently fly up to any opponent and duke it out to your hearts content.

Tue Aug 16, 2016 12:26 am

Those generators are too close and would cause a chain reaction should 1 get hit...and I think i could...help...with the sluggishness

Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:37 am

Upgraded the BCV to Spirit Mark 2 now. MK 2 features even better protection (redesigned armor and added CIWS, slightly better maneuverability (it can dodge torpedoes now), better ability to fight in different styles as needed (with optimized weapon choices), and better pvp ability (updated with tests vs vs kiters, carriers, fortresses, and Spirit Mk1). Also equipped with Jehuty's mushroom style "reactive armor". Also fixed Mk1's stuck drones.

I'm not gonna re-position the generators, this ship is very power hungry so i need that many, and putting them farther out will be difficult to armor them. Besides, if anything actually managed to eat all the way to where the generators are, I probably lost the battle already.

Edit: Uploaded temporary mod ver. to address the generator issue, also reviewed maneuverability.

Attachments:
File comment: Temporary fix for the maneuverability and generator danger. Also added more firepower to make use of the new maneuverability.
Reassembly_James_-_BCV_M_Feathered_Spirit Movement and firepower [7998P].lua [22.15 KiB]
Downloaded 132 times
Tue Aug 16, 2016 10:32 am

Are you looking for combat demonstrations? I recorded a video, and it happened to include a time one of the Feathered Spirit chassis won against my test fleet (constructed of ships I already had laying around), but even in that victory you can see just how much it struggles dealing with mobile, medium-sized targets.

I see you say it works against Swarms, AOE, and Heavy Punchers, but the substantial reliance on forward firing weapons is giving it a bit of trouble. As mentioned above, it gets distracted way too easily by medium-sized, high-mobility ships and ends up spending too long chasing them, unable to really put down actual damage and get back to shooting the targets that matter.

For structural purposes, the front and back are held together by a few small pieces of armor and shields. It can get cut in half pretty easily, and in my testing with it this was exactly the case more than a few times. The back is also very unarmored, so if it gets surrounded (i.e. swarms), it finds itself in hot water very quickly. Additionally, the side armor is very thin and doesn't hold up to fire. This ship seems designed to duel other 8K ships, rather than fight outnumbered as claimed in OP.

I only tested against my own designs. I don't build 8K ships, but I have a few from tournaments that I can test against it. They're all in the Tournament Archive in my signature, if you'd like to test them on your own.

EDIT: Tested it against some other 8K battleships and it handled itself much better. Still struggles against medium-sized, mobile opponents but they were definitely more in their element.

We have a Discord, too

Tue Aug 16, 2016 4:11 pm

"Feathered Spirit" Heavy BC Mk.3 Ver. This should be more like it.

Edit: Still working on them, they aren't designed for 16k fleet combat yet.

Attachments:
Wed Aug 17, 2016 7:07 am

Think I'll switch to farmer faction, probably more to my style of ships.

Wed Aug 17, 2016 10:41 am
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]