View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:15 am

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
Kieve's F4 Failures 

So, I've been goofing around with Fac4 gunships lately. Making obscenely powerful cannons is a lot of fun, admittedly. But the recoil on them... my god.
The original design for this beast was the Warhawk 45 - a 4500p mid-sized ship with plenty of range and damage that could tear through Sentinel armor in seconds. If the Warhawk were able to stick around that long...
Which it couldn't, because the recoil thrust was enough to send it rocketing across the map in the opposite direction.

My solution?
Add more guns and point them backwards.
[Reveal] Spoiler: Behold, the Warhawk chassis

Equal and opposite reactions. Suck it, Newton.

Last edited by Kieve on Fri Oct 16, 2015 11:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Oct 04, 2015 7:17 pm

Where did you get large F4 generators from? I thought they only had the tiny inefficient ones?

Sun Oct 04, 2015 8:03 pm

Owlfeathers0117 wrote:
Where did you get large F4 generators from? I thought they only had the tiny inefficient ones?

Apparently, you are correct. :oops:
I downloaded a mod that added solar panels for other factions, and apparently the maker included bigger generators for F4 as well. Only just now checked. They're heinously expensive P-wise, (500 for 2x2 size, 900 for 3x3) but with an output to match. Guess I'll have to carve them out of my current designs if I plan to Wormhole anything in this fleet.

Sun Oct 04, 2015 8:12 pm

This sucker has been driving me nuts. It keeps its distance just fine, but almost never aligns itself with an enemy ship or shoots at it.
I have no issues building fast, maneuverable death-dealers in the 1500p-3000p range, but the art of the cheap mobile sniper eludes me.

Sat Oct 17, 2015 12:11 am

More turning thrusters on the front. You want the ship to be able to do a nice sea-saw motion when it aims.
Turning thrusters on the front and back ends are more important that having thrusters in the middle section.

You also might want to get rid of the drone launcher.
You can use that P for more thrusters - keep your cost low. And, sometimes the AI doesn't shoot because it's using the drones rather than focusing on the gun.

Sat Oct 17, 2015 5:27 am

sumplkrum wrote:
More turning thrusters on the front. You want the ship to be able to do a nice sea-saw motion when it aims.
Turning thrusters on the front and back ends are more important that having thrusters in the middle section.

You also might want to get rid of the drone launcher.
You can use that P for more thrusters - keep your cost low. And, sometimes the AI doesn't shoot because it's using the drones rather than focusing on the gun.

Took your advice and shifted some of the thrusters around. It still wallows, compared to the bigger Warhawks, but aiming does seem to have improved considerably. It can actually kill test ships before they get up in its barrel now.
The drone launcher, as expensive and ultimately worthless as it is, I find necessary - the design gets too aggressive and won't go into "retreat fire" mode without it. Drones can only regenerate one at a time, however, and require about two generators to operate at "peak" efficiency, leaving the other six to fire the main gun, so energy use isn't a huge concern.

Sat Oct 17, 2015 2:14 pm

Quote:
- the design gets too aggressive and won't go into "retreat fire" mode without it.

I resolved this on most of my fleet snipers by reducing the number of forward thrusters. Motion focuses on rotation, and kickback keeps them out of trouble at the start of the match.
They can't chase anything, but range usually compensates for that.

Sat Oct 17, 2015 9:13 pm

sumplkrum wrote:
Quote:
- the design gets too aggressive and won't go into "retreat fire" mode without it.

I resolved this on most of my fleet snipers by reducing the number of forward thrusters. Motion focuses on rotation, and kickback keeps them out of trouble at the start of the match.
They can't chase anything, but range usually compensates for that.

Any suggestions on how to resolve the same issue when using a sniper which doesn't rely on the recoil from firing?

Sat Oct 17, 2015 9:48 pm

Quote:
Any suggestions on how to resolve the same issue when using a sniper which doesn't rely on the recoil from firing?

Not really. The AI loves to jump forward at the start of the match. Recoil prevents it from falling into that situation and getting killed early.
If you allow it to go forward, you're better off building a shielded skirmisher like Camo5's ships and having it not be a sniper.

PS. Lucky[dgl] made some very nice snipers in the Lapapsnow tourney here.
They had enough range to cover the entire playing field.

Sun Oct 18, 2015 7:07 am
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]