View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Dec 10, 2019 7:15 am

Reply to topic  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Tournament desings up to 4000P 

Camo5 :It is really hard to design something to defeat trolltest and it is uselles against other fleets. :lol:

Tue Sep 29, 2015 11:38 am

You see now why I haven't managed to build a fleet that beats all the rock paper scissors :P

Tue Sep 29, 2015 11:48 am

I just wish it had a better name than 'trolltest'.

I'm guessing you never meant that to be a killer design, otherwise it would be like UberSplash, or something.

Tue Sep 29, 2015 2:41 pm

Actually it was the fleet I was making to try to circumvent the suicide melee thing they do against troll ships.

Tue Sep 29, 2015 2:54 pm

Missiles help with that.
They'll still run into them sometimes, but they usually stop before they hit because their prefered range is farther away.

... wait, why am I helping you? :)

Tue Sep 29, 2015 3:13 pm

Camo5 wrote:
Posting my 35k spinner fleet here, as well as the crystalline fleet I fought and somehow lost to on deluk's game...

Tested both of the files you uploaded and tested against my fleet file which is attached.

In every sim i ran my fleet won. I have a complete vanilla install of reassembly.

My PC:

Win7 64bit
Core i5 3350 @ 3.1GHz
16GB DDR3 RAM
Radeon HD 7870 2GB

Tue Sep 29, 2015 4:31 pm

Camo5 wrote:
I'll add my second best fleet to this list, and a couple of other tough fleets I used for testing. Thanks for that scorpion platform :3 I now have 5 ships with double cannon variants from testing with this ;)

Trolltest was fun, attached is the fleet i used to win. Mostly point wins after timeout, some complete kill wins.

Attachments:
Tue Sep 29, 2015 5:15 pm

Are you running 120 physics calcs per second? Just downloaded your fleet and fought it against the one I uploaded, and it lost every time...There is some discrepancy and I don't know why.

Thus, further compounding the fact that building a kill all fleet just doesn't work.

Tue Sep 29, 2015 5:55 pm

Camo5 wrote:
Are you running 120 physics calcs per second? Just downloaded your fleet and fought it against the one I uploaded, and it lost every time...There is some discrepancy and I don't know why.

Thus, further compounding the fact that building a kill all fleet just doesn't work.

i tested with both 60 and 120, on my system my fleet wins regardless. Again, point wins on timeout, very rarely am i seeing kill wins.

Tue Sep 29, 2015 5:59 pm

Lucky[dgl] wrote:
Camo5 wrote:

i tested with both 60 and 120, on my system my fleet wins regardless. Again, point wins on timeout, very rarely am i seeing kill wins.

Just ran them against the fleet I submitted (will share after tournament), and they went 0-3, not a single round won. The closest they came was Fight 2 / Round 2, where they had my fleet down to a single ship and a healthy points-lead, and were starting from the left side.
End result is always the same: Loss by fleet destruction, and generally a few hundred points behind when the match ends. Though sometimes it was very close - last ship killed with only a couple seconds left on the clock.

They're very good points-farmers, but heavy - too slow and not maneuverable enough. That being said, I suspect "shielded" swarm-fighters are more of a liability than anything, since the shield bubble makes them a bigger target. I had initially submitted a multi-role shielded swarmer (with a burst laser as part of its arsenal) with my fleet, and found after testing that they just couldn't hold up to "gun & thruster" swarm-drones, despite being better protected. It mostly came down to numbers - for every Harasser I could put on the field, someone could put two or even three smaller drones out there - and once those shields drop, my swarm-fighter was just as vulnerable, but outgunned and being shot at from too many different angles to dodge effectively.
Moreover, I stand by what I said in the tournament discussion thread, terran burst lasers just aren't worth the P-cost for swarmers.

As a side-note, I pitted your burst-fighters against my abandoned Harasser, and the Harasser also won by fleet-KO in every match.
Attachment:
Harasser_sD.lua.gz [1.4 KiB]
Downloaded 142 times

I suspect that's mostly due to maneuverability and having a more varied arsenal, but you're welcome to test it for yourself.

EDIT: Since the topic of discussion was how well they did against Trolltest - my own matches show Lucky[dgl] winning by points more often than not. The variable seems to be in how the swarms behave - if most of Troll sticks together, Lucky gets picked off one or two at a time until fleet KO. Otherwise, Lucky claims victory by points.

For lulz, I ran Harasser against Trolltest as well, with Harasser going 5-0 and winning multiple rounds by fleet KO.

Tue Sep 29, 2015 11:52 pm
Reply to topic   [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next