View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Nov 13, 2019 6:42 pm

Reply to topic  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Tournament desings up to 4000P 

MonsPubis wrote:
I do think you're onto something with collision detection too. I suspect if a projectile is moving fast enough to travel completely through a ship in a single frame
They definitely do, a lot. I've often flown into the interior of large asteroids with my little 'suicide ships', by mistake, with the physics at 60. Turned down to 15 it can be difficult to hit anything at all once up to high speed! Edit: evidence that when Camo's fleet wins it's fairly fast, more damage faster, then when the missile swarm edges it, often going down to the wire, as in Deluk's match-up. Indicates fewer collisions (probably, and/or fewer projectiles fired).
MonsPubis wrote:
Every time the fleet on the left was the victorious one.
I was feeling a left side advantage too, with the mentioned pairing, and maybe others (but needs harder data). Certainly not as big an effect as physics resolution.
MonsPubis wrote:
The simulation should simply slow down if the CPU load is too great.
Absolutely, hence I feel it should be deterministic, but tests like these seem to have shown me otherwise, more than just left/right bias. I believe Deluks has stated use of 60 previously, although I've not seen him re-iterate that in the last round. It's the default setting and should be gold standard.

Last edited by ZeroGravitas on Fri Sep 25, 2015 7:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Sep 25, 2015 6:48 am

I tucked it here because this is the most relevant topic :P also I can't rename it for some reason..

Also I run my tests at 120 physics updates/second, and adaptive vsync in windowed mode

Fri Sep 25, 2015 6:55 am

I highly doubt Deluks had his settings anything other than default.
From what I've seen, anytime someone suggests he make even minor changes to the game, he refuses because he doesn't want to 'mess with anything.'

Maybe the left-side trend has to do with which way the ship was designed to spin?
I know the ships should be facing towards the center no matter which side they start on, but maybe there's a physics thing there.

Deluks also noted in his video that ships trying to target spinners also tend to move in a looping motion. That could be another weird variable.

Fri Sep 25, 2015 12:45 pm

sumplkrum wrote:
Deluks also noted in his video that ships trying to target spinners also tend to move in a looping motion. That could be another weird variable.

I wonder if they're trying to calculate intercept trajectories based on the facing of the ship rather than its current momentum?

We have a Discord, too

Fri Sep 25, 2015 6:51 pm

MonsPubis wrote:
I wonder if they're trying to calculate intercept trajectories based on the facing of the ship rather than its current momentum?

I think their targeting might be based on a combination of the targets current velocity+acceleration. Which might explain how spinners can evade fire so well.
Alternately spinners might be so good at dodging because they can rapidly change direction to avoid fire.

Fri Sep 25, 2015 9:18 pm

ZeroGravitas wrote:
I've noticed big groups of laser weapons (e.g. Obliterators) often fire in sync when it's vanishingly unlikely they should have done so.

I see that a lot, too, when an enemy ship gets destroyed. Maybe they are releasing the charge when they no longer have a target for it?

Sun Sep 27, 2015 1:44 pm

Bahamut wrote:
Maybe they are releasing the charge when they no longer have a target for it?

Yeah, the AI sometimes releases its charge when its current target dies, not 100% sure why.

Sun Sep 27, 2015 2:16 pm

Which target ships choose also seems to change the battle dynamics drastically.
Sometimes a group will all lock-on one target and chase it to the other end of the map. Other times they will just hit whatever is closest.

I think one of the benefits of having a swarm fleet is that you are kinda of offsetting the effect of AI derps because there are so many ships.
When a fleet only has a handful of larger ships, the effect of one ship doing something weird becomes magnified. Whereas a few ships choosing a bad target is negligable when you have hundreds of ships in the fleet.

Mon Sep 28, 2015 8:25 pm

sumplkrum wrote:

Like when my battleship is obsessed with chasing that one fighter, completely ignoring the two battleships attacking it. >_>

Tue Sep 29, 2015 12:11 am

Bahamut wrote:
sumplkrum wrote:

Like when my battleship is obsessed with chasing that one fighter, completely ignoring the two battleships attacking it. >_>

Yep; happens all the time. Worst is when it's a capital ship armed with spinal (or mostly spinal) mounted weapons futilely trying to shoot the tiny fighter buzzing around it.

Tue Sep 29, 2015 4:41 am
Reply to topic   [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next