View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:46 am

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Pisaster Giganteus - F5 Station [Work in progress] 

While building a faction 5 station, found a penrose pattern that made this HUGE ship very easy to make. Still figuring out where to place the other stuff. Can I have some suggestions?

Blocks: 1.942 [currently]
Mass: 252.363
Health: 5.051.625
Radius: 1.119

Attachments:
File comment: Work in progress.
Reassembly_Faction_5_-_Pisaster_Giganteus_20150913_07.18.42.PM_[10P].rar [10.87 KiB]
Downloaded 135 times
Sun Sep 13, 2015 4:12 pm

missiles

lots and lots and lots and lots of missiles

and I guess some plasma condensers (the real heavy ones) paired with some generators on the inside for all those larger ships

Sun Sep 13, 2015 10:54 pm

Still figuring out the placement of the parts on the station hull. Currently i'm experimenting with smaller ships and getting bigger bit by bit.

This design bellow is around 2kP. Kinda slow, but speed is not the focus of this faction anyway.
[Reveal] Spoiler: 2kP Ship

Mon Sep 14, 2015 3:44 am

Like the design.

Small suggestion - I would move the generators a bit away from the command module.
The Crystalline modules tend to shatter easily with explode or splash damage. If an enemy triggers a single generator, the ship will be dead.

My 2 cents. :)

Mon Sep 14, 2015 5:06 am

That's faction 11 ~

Mon Sep 14, 2015 6:52 am

@sumplkrum - Thanks for the tip. Taking that on count to my other designs.

@camo5 - I don't know the really faction count, but it's the 5th on the playable list, so... xD

Mon Sep 14, 2015 2:26 pm

The station has a neat design, but would seem like an object not worth trying to conquer. I would just load up the center with weapons with long enough range to reach beyond the edges at twice the distance from the center. One doesn't have to do this, but it's how I would do it. Maybe put some more weapons further out spread evenly.

For the second ship, it looks really fragile. Some connections only have one small piece holding it together. As sumplkrum said, generators near the command module usually results in a quick death. The form looks nice, but durability seems weak.

Mon Sep 14, 2015 5:44 pm

jgrahl wrote:
generators near the command module usually results in a quick death.

I generally put my generators close to/behind the command module, similar to how they are on this ship, so that the enemy will only hit them if they're attacking me from behind, not if i'm facing them head-on, And it's worked out fine for me so far.

Mon Sep 14, 2015 10:12 pm

jgrahl wrote:
...As sumplkrum said, generators near the command module usually results in a quick death. The form looks nice, but durability seems weak.

I've seen that being passed as the conventional wisdom for a while now, but I find myself asking why. To my mind, if an enemy has chewed into your ship to the point where the command module is at risk of generator-proximity detonations, the command module itself wouldn't be far behind anyway, no matter where you stuck the generators. A case of delaying the inevitable.

(And I figure the same holds true for AOE blasts as well - if it can reach the generators, your core's likely toast anyway)

Tue Sep 15, 2015 12:39 am

I've had countless scenarios where the front half of my ship is just chewed apart, all the way to the core, but the ship manages to turn away from the enemy fire and escape with the core exposed.

Tue Sep 15, 2015 3:35 am
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next