View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:45 am

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
Spoot Knight's Ship Emporium 

I've figured since there are other forums where I've posted stuff I design in, that this should be no exception.

Even though I've played all the available factions, there are only three in which I have been able to successfully make more than one design. For me, that means being able to make something with more than four sides that avoids being 90% engine or gun.

The first faction has proven to be the one where I can make clean shapes with little in the way of gaps. At the same time, those gaps were even used for aesthetics (until I updated the designs), unlike what I've experienced in most of the other factions where they're both hard to avoid and homely. Huzzah explicit attachment points.

On the first faction, this was my first custom ship:
The Judgment Frigate. Rather frail, and no real design theme was decided on at this point, though I was attached to the way it had the appearance of something from Star Control, so I left it this way.

The Independence Destroyer. In essence, it's a larger Judgment in its overall shape. I also discovered I love the faction's Railgun.

The Sovereign Cruiser. Notice that its design is radically different from the other two ship above it. Yes, this is design theory at work! The Sovereign is a throwback to the ship with the same name from Battleships Forever. This more or less includes the missile launchers and beam cannons being placed where they are. I had to omit the extensions on the sides because I was not having the best luck on their design, but this ship is also where I heavily used compartmentalization to make modifications simpler. Maybe I'll get it closer to the original design. Maybe.

The Templar Battleship. This was my way of using the same shape to make a larger version which met the 8,000P limit. As before, made with compartments.

The Halcyon Cruiser. Yes, this was designed after the Templar, which is why I'm listing it after it. I simply wanted my own version of the Akula. Despite the P count, it's smaller than the Independence. I usually try to keep ship designations accurate, i.e.: Destroyers are smaller than Cruisers. Oops.

Not pictured is what I've recently renamed the Striker. It's just the faction's Interceptor with armor adjustments to look more like the Tariq Patrol Combatant from Independence War. From what I've seen, Tariq is a derivative of "tarik," meaning "striker."

If the goal was avoid the Meta, I think I've succeeded. Slow and undergunned compared to just about every Agent fleet I've seen in the game, they probably won't hold their own against anything in a tournament. But they're not a box, so I've satisfied my objective.

The next set of ships I did with the fourth faction. There's only three and they're close to the same thing: big Shrike and bigger Shrike.
The Longbow.

The Thunderbolt.

The Crossbow. It's almost the Thunderbolt, just with some differences.

Then I made a second faction fleet.
The Einherjar Frigate. It's essentially an up-armored Frigate and an experiment in cleaning up the jaggedness of the original design.

The Valkyrja Cruiser. I actually modified a section of the Destroyer and then extended it back to make this.

The Freyja Siege Cruiser. Since my first faction always has a set of spinal beam cannons, this faction obviously will use Longbows on the larger ships.

The Tyr Battlecruiser. Actually more of a front-line fighter despite what I said about Longbows. I made this with enough Sparrow launchers that in ripple-fire, the first launcher to go off will have regenerated both missiles by the time the rest have fired. It takes 40 Sparrow launchers to ripple-fire two missiles continuously.

The Odin Battleship. Like the Templar to the Sovereign, the Odin is an expansion of the Tyr while also combining some of the Freyja's long-range power.

And this is what I've made for Reassembly. As I said before, I'm hopeless when it comes to every other faction, so I can't see myself posting designs from the other four factions any time soon, if ever.

Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:40 am

Oh wow these are nice!

Muzzle Brake. Because not everyone is a fan of Noisy Crickets!

Empire of the Red Sun

Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:34 am

How did you do that octagon connections in F8(the first faction) ships?

Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:02 am

Scale 1 Hull (rectangular) on the cardinal sides of the turrets, with square or trapezoidal Hulls to attach the triangular Hull to, as those won't stick otherwise.

Edit:
SpootKnight wrote:
Maybe I'll get it closer to the original design. Maybe.

And I did.

The BSF Sovereign, in Reassembly.

Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:23 am
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]