View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Oct 19, 2019 12:28 am



Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Faction name Survey 
Author Message
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:11 pm
Posts: 1295
Location: Ames, IA
Reply with quote
Made a survey, only have 11 responses so far, I don't know where else to post the link...
http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/QYCQLYK

Results thus far:
https://www.surveymonkey.com/results/SM-BPFLYPP7/

Faction 1/8: Terrans
Faction 2: Farmers
Faction 3: Reds
Faction 4: Tinkrell/Gunners
Faction 5: Plants
Faction 6: The Borg/cubians
Faction 7: Flies
Faction 9: Asteroids
Faction 10: Outcasts
Faction 11: Crystalline
Faction 12: Bees
Faction 13: Angry Plants
Faction 14: The Neophytes
Faction 15: Sentinels
Faction 16: Jellyfish
Faction 17: Alpha tester ships
Faction 100: Huge Asteroids

_________________
The game where I originated as a member of this community. . VISUAL BASED MOD KIT!!
Shellcore command EP2


Last edited by Camo5 on Fri Mar 27, 2015 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.



Wed Mar 25, 2015 6:29 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:12 pm
Posts: 444
Location: The battlezones of Shellcoreia
Reply with quote
Interesting name choices, I thought too many of them were inspired by other video games/media though. I made original names for all of them, I forget what they are though.

_________________
If you say "plz" because it is shorter than "please", I will say no because it is shorter than yes.
Image
Never Forget.


Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:52 pm
Profile

Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2015 12:10 pm
Posts: 239
Reply with quote
Deceleration wrote:
Interesting name choices, I thought too many of them were inspired by other video games/media though. I made original names for all of them, I forget what they are though.


That's why I already did that ;)

And thankfully, I remember the names I made for them.

Faction 1/id8 is obviously humans, though. Their ship designs are humanlike in nature.

Faction 2 is called the Cultureians because their ships focus on agriculture.

Faction 3 is called the Huntis because of their aggressive nature.

Faction 4 is called the Tinkrell because they "tinker" with their modular guns.

Faction 5/id11 is the Crystallite. The "Skull Slayer" achievement should give away the proof.

Faction 6/id12 is the Cyberian Faction, because they have robot-like structures and ships.

Faction 7/id15 is called the "Phantas" because of their mysterious colorastions and blade-like ships.

Faction ID 6 is the Cubians, because of their cube-like ship and building structure.

Faction ID 7 race is called the Vyruz, though their ships are commonly referred to as "flies" or "gnats"

_________________
Image


Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:22 am
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:19 pm
Posts: 143
Location: Drifting in space.
Reply with quote
z0mbiesrock wrote:
Deceleration wrote:
Interesting name choices, I thought too many of them were inspired by other video games/media though. I made original names for all of them, I forget what they are though.


That's why I already did that ;)

And thankfully, I remember the names I made for them.

Faction 1/id8 is obviously humans, though. Their ship designs are humanlike in nature.

Faction 2 is called the Cultureians because their ships focus on agriculture.

Faction 3 is called the Huntis because of their aggressive nature.

Faction 4 is called the Tinkrell because they "tinker" with their modular guns.

Faction 5/id11 is the Crystallite. The "Skull Slayer" achievement should give away the proof.

Faction 6/id12 is the Cyberian Faction, because they have robot-like structures and ships.

Faction 7/id15 is called the "Phantas" because of their mysterious colorastions and blade-like ships.

Faction ID 6 is the Cubians, because of their cube-like ship and building structure.

Faction ID 7 race is called the Vyruz, though their ships are commonly referred to as "flies" or "gnats"


You are correct for faction 8. They have a station design that mimics the ISS, and even has 'ISS' in the name of the station.

Your faction 2 name is kinda okay, but I expected more, considering the names of their weapons and such.

I don't know why, but Huntis just kinda sounds cheesy to me.

Tinkrell sounds too much like Tinkerbell. It is annoying.

Faction 5 is the faction given to plants.

Faction 11 ships are made of a strong material known as crystalite. Just because they are made of a certain material, does not mean they should be named after that material. Though from what I remember, they were referred to as 'The Crystalline Fleet' every once and awhile.

'Cyberians' just kinda seems too bland. Not sure why.

Google searched Phantas. Nothing related to the color scheme of F15 or blades.

They are giant squares. We will come up with hundreds of names for them.

Also, why can't we just refer to them as Faction #s? I don't see why we even have to give them weird names. It's kind of a bit easier to remember them by number too.


Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:06 am
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 6:07 am
Posts: 366
Reply with quote
I'd like to change my vote for F15 to 'Anisoraptors'. Whoever came up with that is fooking yeenius, as Robbaz King of Sweden would say.

_________________
Reassembly Web Dev Kit, by TTFTCUTS!

Muzzle Brake. Because not everyone is a fan of Noisy Crickets!

Empire of the Red Sun


Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:40 am
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:11 pm
Posts: 1295
Location: Ames, IA
Reply with quote
you can change your vote at any time ~

_________________
The game where I originated as a member of this community. . VISUAL BASED MOD KIT!!
Shellcore command EP2


Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:29 am
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jul 12, 2014 3:36 pm
Posts: 326
Reply with quote
TeoUltika wrote:
Also, why can't we just refer to them as Faction #s? I don't see why we even have to give them weird names. It's kind of a bit easier to remember them by number too.

The main reason behind this is that the placement of factions on faction select doesn't match up with the Internal numbers that us alpha/beta testers are used to using. and that confuses people to no end.


Thu Mar 26, 2015 3:22 pm
Profile

Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:10 pm
Posts: 33
Reply with quote
I think with faction names in this game the simple and/or downright obvious names work best. Farmers as faction 2 for instance - almost instantly you understand who they are and what they do. I wouldn't going for something like culturians because it essentially just a more obscure and convulated version of farmers anyway.

I wouldn't go too deep with names in general as without any kind of backstory they end up sounding cool but not actually serving a purpose. Everyone knows who the farmers are, or the crystalline,or the cubians, or the crescent race, or the angry plants.

IMO of course


Thu Apr 02, 2015 4:59 am
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:11 pm
Posts: 1295
Location: Ames, IA
Reply with quote
At the moment the results are as follows, with most categories the obvious unanimous choice:

Faction 1/8: Terrans
Faction 2: Farmers
Faction 3: Reds
Faction 4: Tinkrell/Gunners
Faction 5: Plants
Faction 6: The Borg
Faction 7: Flies
Faction 9: Asteroids
Faction 10: Outcasts
Faction 11: Crystalline
Faction 12: Bees
Faction 13: Angry Plants
Faction 14: The Neophytes
Faction 15: Sentinels
Faction 16: Jellyfish
Faction 17: Alpha tester ships
Faction 100: Huge Asteroids

_________________
The game where I originated as a member of this community. . VISUAL BASED MOD KIT!!
Shellcore command EP2


Thu Apr 02, 2015 6:52 am
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jul 12, 2014 3:36 pm
Posts: 326
Reply with quote
Camo5 wrote:
Faction 6: The Borg

I'd suggest against this name for reasons of copyright. Squares/Cubians/etc. would be better to keep the theme while avoiding potential copyright issues.

Not a fan of the F4 name, it doesn't "fit in" with the others, Gunners/Arsenal/Tinkerers/etc would fit in better if you get what I mean. [I also don't like the name itself, but fitting in is more important than personal preference.]
Also the F13 name is kinda weird, but I like the others.

F16 are an even more questionable faction in terms of existence than F14, as F16 has *no* ships in-game. F14 at least has a few ships.


Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:33 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
Designed by ST Software