View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:48 am

Reply to topic  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Release Tournament Rules 
Site Admin

We had to stop after the interceptor category due to time constraints. Will conclude the tournament some time not too long after March 7th!

The probe and interceptor seeding results are up:

http://www.anisopteragames.com/contest/probe
http://www.anisopteragames.com/contest/interceptor

Amazigh's Funnel won the interceptor category and CmdrJohn's Federation Run And Hide won the probe category.

Sun Mar 01, 2015 1:29 am

So where's the other half remaining interceptor... You'd say on the stream there are about 64 of them that was submitted right? Or maybe I was using a different name for uploading as different faction... I've counted that I exported 34 interceptor lua on my computer but only 9 of them where here... So there's 2 possibility:

1. Most of them were under-strength, or maybe people upload so little that they're hidden...

2. Hard to tell who I really am from each aliases, assumption to be an imposter?

I remember that Sirboomaloot went overboard with his probe uploads so is this what happen over here?

Someone may adopt:
http://reassembly.wikia.com/

Sun Mar 01, 2015 2:20 am

arthur wrote:
We had to stop after the interceptor category due to time constraints. Will conclude the tournament some time not too long after March 7th!

The probe and interceptor seeding results are up:

http://www.anisopteragames.com/contest/probe
http://www.anisopteragames.com/contest/interceptor

Amazigh's Funnel won the interceptor category and CmdrJohn's Federation Run And Hide won the probe category.

Those links are missing ships. I had ships that made it into the probe finals, but your probe link shows 0 ships that were made by me.

Sun Mar 01, 2015 8:05 am

I might think that the same thing may happen again in the two remaining categories... So I probably consider reupload my creation just in case...

Someone may adopt:

Sun Mar 01, 2015 9:05 am

arthur wrote:

I'm pretty sure that my SD-15A won the probe category.

Edit:
Results screen from probe tournament [I stuck a number on each ship to indicate duplicates]

Sun Mar 01, 2015 10:35 am

Suggestion for the contest upload screen, make it show how many and what lua files that was uploaded only the name...

Someone may adopt:

Sun Mar 01, 2015 5:33 pm

Hello all. At the bottom of the post is a link to a google drive folder that has all of the Interceptor files ready to be downloaded. I really appreciate all the work Arthur has put into the game and the tournament, but he didn't upload the files in a very accessible manner. When I tried to download the ships directly from the list, it just displayed the lua file instead of downloading it. Hopefully this directory makes it easier for you. I didn't do one for the probes yet because many of the probes are outright missing from the list and I'd rather wait for a complete list before posting anything. Also the interceptor directory is missing a single ship because it's name had a strange character that broke the link to the file so I couldn't get access to it. If we could get a complete list of the probes I will upload a directory of downloadable versions of them as well.

Before you go, I'd really like to discuss balance right now. I know there are things that have more immediate concern than balance right now, but at the same time it's not something that can simply be shoved under the rug. The longer it gets puts off, the more difficult fixing it will become. The point of balance is to promote a variety of healthy ship designs. Right now the game is actually very close to that mark. I have yet to see a perfect ship. Every ship, no matter how good; has some weakness. The problems right now can be reduced to just three problems, and I discuss two of them below.

[Reveal] Spoiler:
1) Engines. Engines are really overpowered right now because they avoid trades for free. They have virtually no cost, and because of their amazing pay off, only ships with lots and lots of engines do well in tournaments. I'm not saying that I think ships should be immobile. But I am saying that engines should have some cost to make them less of a guaranteed trade-winner. I'm also saying that I feel that slower ships should still be viable if built well. Personally I think engines should cost ships energy. If you think of ship trades in terms of energy, every weapon costs energy to shoot but no ship needs to spend energy to avoid being shot. This makes the use of engines as a tool to win trades essentially free, especially with the inherently low P cost. It would also force ships to devote at least some mass to actually powering the engines so that they can't just be impossibly fast. I understand mobility is an important asset to a ship's design, but it's way too unbalanced right now. The ability to simply slap tons of engines on a ship bypasses any challenge to ship design. Energy dependency does a good job of presenting a healthy design challenge to the selection and placement of weapons, I feel that it can do the same for engines. Note: Engines being overpowered is mainly visible on smaller ships at the moment, as the mass scales up for larger ships, the efficiency goes down a bit. I think this is part of the reason you see more ship variety at the 8K level. But this change wouldn't effect larger ships very much anyway as they already have numerous reactors.

2) AI targetting missiles and drones. This should be a very easy fix and one I expect to happen soon after this tournament concludes. Basically there's a subset of ships that are steam rolling in tournaments because they use a select few missiles/drones that draw more "aggro" than the ship itself. I can understand one case where this makes sense: the nuclear option. This missile is such a threat that it can wipe out some 8K ships in one hit. However, there is a massive difference between the nuclear option (which costs over 2.7k to equip and fire very slowly) and the Bee's big drones (which cost less than 200 and are spammable). These matches quickly devolve into a minute and a half of one ship sitting in one spot spamming missiles/drones and the other ship sitting in one spot shooting at drones the entire time. Rarely does a K.O. occur, and the match will simply end in a tie-breaker. These matches are not healthy, not fun to watch, and unbalanced. I would imagine that fixing this would be very easy, and not even require any other changes to the already good AI system. I feel like every faction should have some weapon/s specifically classified as a "defense" weapon. Some factions already have this. The AI just has stop using anything other than these "defense" weapons to shoot down drones. I can't honestly think of a situation where the complete devotion of all of the ships resources to shooting drones would ever be beneficial.

3) I won't get into faction-specific issues because they aren't as severe and the factions aren't necessarily all done.

TLDR:
The combination of these 2 flaws is boiling most competitive ship designs down to light-weight spammers that rely entirely on the tie-breaker to win. As much as I enjoy the game, I think most people would agree with me that it isn't fun to watch and it's not fun to design/counter-design. Some people think drones in general are overpowered, but this is just a side-effect of engines being overpowered. The fact of the matter is that everything with long range is overpowered on a fast ship because there's no real counter-play to fast ships in the current state of the game. The only drones that are OP are the ones that the AI prioritizes over the enemy ship itself, which is an easy, easy fix.

Link to tournament Interceptors:
https://drive.google.com/folderview?id= ... sp=sharing

Tue Mar 03, 2015 1:03 am

Drones can also be OP if the ship that spawns them is very fast and can remain out of range of the other ship indefinitely. In that case the ship can deal damage to the enemy through its drones while taking no damage in return.

A solution I proposed was to make drone kills worth points. Spamming drones wouldn't guarantee a win anymore, if the other ship has an effective point defense and can stay alive for the duration of the fight.

Also, about thrusters: They are not "virtually no cost". Fast ships you talk about trade a large amount of firepower for their engines, and also hull. They can avoid hits, yes, from projectile weapons only. While I agree that variety might be nice to see, fast ships will continue to be the meta for this game in 1v1 AI tournament fights. A very specific circumstance where these ships would win out, seeing as they'd fare poorly in the normal game. A possible solution would be to make all projectiles faster to make them harder to dodge.

Tue Mar 03, 2015 1:37 am

Wait, are submissions for some classes still open? I'm unsure...

Also, no cheese ships were submitted by me this tournament. Yet.

Tue Mar 03, 2015 1:42 am

The tournament was already held (well, first 2 categories at least) so I assume submissions are closed. Especially since arthur already ran the round robin (during the stream so everyone could see it too!) and the finalists have already been determined.

Also, if you're going to submit cheese ships, at least make them look like cheese. And name them appropriately.

Tue Mar 03, 2015 1:52 am
Reply to topic   [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next