View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:36 am

Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
First Kickstarter Contest! 

I know, which is why I didn't expect it to win. It won because almost no one used shields, and I added enough thrusters that it could stay in range.

Sun Sep 14, 2014 7:08 pm

Oh hey, I just had a thought...

Some of my ships didn't get in the tournament. After checking them just now, I went over the P limit slightly. However, the submission page just accepted them, so I assumed they were okay. Would it be possible to have it check the submission for compliance with the category rules, and tell you if it wasn't? It might prevent such things from happening again.

Also, I submitted one of my cruisers, Weiss, to the dreadnought category. I didn't expect it to win, it was just to see how well it did since it defeated Ruby Rose (my dreadnought which was a runner up in the tournament) in testing. It didn't appear in the tournament however. Is there a lower limit to P as well? I submitted one of my probes to the proton category, so I wouldn't think so. In which case my design didn't go through or something. I believe Camo had a fleet 4 design that didn't go through as well, not sure if it went over the P limit as well.

Edit: Well, actually, testing Weiss versus Camo's winning design, they look pretty evenly matched, with is surprising given that Camo's cube should have twice the P value. Camo's cube barely won round 1 due to luck (his cube's core was exposed on 2 sides, that's pretty damn close) and Weiss won round 2, after over a minute it closed in and cut through its side. The cube won round 3 after another minute. I'm just saying, my ship submission not going through could have potentially lost me a category here.

Also, the fleet 3 ship Death's Embrace had an AI glitch where it wouldn't go in. It didn't have this in testing, I demand a rematch! (I doubt it would win since it can't dodge at all, but it at least deserves a fair fight)

Sun Sep 14, 2014 11:35 pm
Site Admin

I'll look through the disqualified ships and see if the game did anything wrong. The categories do have a lower limit, although it's probably unnecessary. I agree that it would be nice to have a more intelligent submission form, a way to view submitted ships, etc. in the future!

I put the contest ships in a zip file. They will also be in the next alpha build.
The youtube video is also up - I'm not sure why the quality is so bad and it seems to have gotten cut off right after the tanks category, but it's there!

Overall I'm really happy with how the tournament went. We are starting to see some seriously tuned ships and there are still a bunch of viable strategies. I had a great time watching, thanks everyone for submitting ships!

Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:24 am

Arthur, heres a suggestion for you to consider:

Add a few more lines of code (or 97 and 21 more to correct bugs) that identify the P count and design of the ship.

Then have an embedded SWF on the tourney submission page that interprets the LUA and renders the ship + cost.
In addition, have the SWF check for count and sort.

It might be problematic to implement but will save you tons of time and worry in the long run. As well as being a good
feature to show future buyers as it will get them more pumped for the tourneys.

The tourneys likely will attract many more people to the game and polishing its features can very easily get more people
interested.

A final and slightly over the top idea would be to let visitors build interceptors and submit it for the biweekly/monthly guest tourneys. The
winner could get a free copy of the game as a prize. The fun of the shipbuilding mechanics could very well influence people to buy the game
and would suffice as a better demo than an actual demo that limits the fun.

Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:49 am

Also arthur, you really need to make ships stop derping around, and have them actually actively get in range. Ships that stay out of range and spin around to expose their weak spots are not fair game.
Ultimately, letting us create our own AI would be awesome.

Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:10 am

I noticed during the combat that the ships rebuilt remarkably slower than when they fight during the normal game, was this intentional?

Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:34 am

Im guessing so, we don't want infinite battles now do we.

Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:38 am

That is why there is a timer?

I like watching ships regen. It adds variety.

Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:50 am

Celebrochan wrote:
That is why there is a timer?

I like watching ships regen. It adds variety.

Because we don't like having to watch one match till the heat
death of the sun.

Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:54 am

I just think its an odd thing to complain about considering that the thing that caused long matches during the last contest was incredibly nimble ships dodging each others weapons fire, not ship regeneration.

Mon Sep 15, 2014 2:06 pm
Reply to topic   [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next