View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Aug 25, 2019 3:54 pm

Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Pre-Tournament Thread 

I don't see why forcing everyone to fit an exact number is necessary or even desirable. My ships are almost always below the limit by 5-10 P, because I like symmetry and I can't be bothered to mess around to make a design fit the limit exactly. Given that small differences in P make almost no difference in ship performance, why bother with trying to level the field that much? If my design looks much better and performs the same with a bit less P, why is that a problem?

Also, I think the AI will also retreat out of its enemie's weapons range too. I saw a lot of that in the last tournament. So a ship armed with plasma cannons can stay out of autocannon range but still hit its target.

Tue Sep 09, 2014 12:27 am

I noticed that my allies closed in on enemy targets when those targets had less than 30% of their pieces remaining, but they never tried to dodge anything.

Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:35 am

Deceleration wrote:
Also, I think the AI will also retreat out of its enemie's weapons range too. I saw a lot of that in the last tournament. So a ship armed with plasma cannons can stay out of autocannon range but still hit its target.

By that logic the only viable weapon for the Tank category would be the largest plasma, and the only viable weapon for the normal categories would be the railgun.
but generally in ship design you usually have superior forward engines to reverse engines, making it more likely that you'll be able to get in close to your opponent, as their reverse engines stand a chance of being weaker than your frontal ones.
Not to mention that Autocannons/Plasma Projectors seem to possibly have slightly better DPS/P, making using them a tradeoff for power/range.

Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:24 am

Railguns have a very slow rate of fire, making them somewht easy to avoid.

Tue Sep 09, 2014 10:06 am

Thanks for all the replies.

I don't think we will change how the brackets are structured. Similar to how boxing works with just an upper limit, if you can design a lower P ship that is somehow better than a higher P ship in the same bracket then go for it, but most people will be trying to get close to the upper limit. I don't think we need to add any more restraints than that.

I like the idea of the team effort where multiple ships are involved, but not going to commit to it just yet since there may be more code required. I'll check with Arthur and if it is easy we can do it, otherwise maybe for a future tournament. I think it might also just require two or three ships, and then you can decide whether you want to design them all or submit as a team.

We will see how these tournaments go and use that to decide how often we want to do them in the future. I think every week, every two weeks, or every month are all viable options for tournament frequency. As submissions grow we might also do some qualifying tournaments to remove weaker ships and then do a finals that only takes a few hours.

Tue Sep 09, 2014 11:45 am

Just checked with Arthur, while the multiple ships sounds awesome, we're going to hold off on adding that for this tournament as we have been optimizing for 1v1 AI. We'll see about getting it into the next one.

Tue Sep 09, 2014 2:07 pm

I have 1 idea, fleet design.

You're allowed a certain P amount but no limit on ships.
Fleets fight to the death!

Wed Sep 10, 2014 12:36 am
Site Admin

Multiship stuff with factories and stuff would be really cool but there is no time to implement it so maybe next time? Collaborative fleet building would definitely be fun, we could have 2v2v2 battles or something it would be totally chaotic!

I did improve the AI a lot though - AI is a lot more aggressive with close range weapons. I improved it so much that I had to make the long range weapon ai better as well to avoid making it imbalanced (e.g. ai will now use spread fire on railgun like weapons in certain situations to make it harder to dodge). AI ships in general are a lot more decisive and move more quickly. Still not perfect!

Also added easy ways to test ships in tournament mode, both from the construction screen and the sandbox.

Wed Sep 10, 2014 6:38 am
Reply to topic   [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2