View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:50 am

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Kickstarter! 

Reactorcore wrote:
Sirboomalot wrote:
Reactorcore, why do you argue so much?

I've just seen the same mistake happen over and over again. I don't want it to repeat.

I like this game a lot and want it not to kill itself because of its design. :(

Hmm... You remind me of derelicted remains of the past from something old... It just something that retelling me of what it was back in 2010. And then why I finally ended up here now.

Someone may adopt:
http://reassembly.wikia.com/

Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:11 am

The goal has reached 11.7%!! at this rate, arthur will achieve about $50000!!

Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:36 am

So what is an alternative to arbitrary points? The only thing I can really think of is quests or missions that allow you to unlock parts and stuff. Maybe if you could produce a suggestion rather than complain about how this game is unsatisfying.

Thu Sep 04, 2014 11:15 am

Deceleration wrote:
So what is an alternative to arbitrary points? The only thing I can really think of is quests or missions that allow you to unlock parts and stuff. Maybe if you could produce a suggestion rather than complain about how this game is unsatisfying.

The alternative is a list of multiple things that all need to be done for it to work.

*Remove any type of arbitrary points completely.
*Everything is available from the start, including every block from enemy factions.
*All blocks have their values standardized, aka no weaker or stronger factions.
*A system that penalises ships the larger they get and rewards the smaller they are.
*The metagame is about 6-8 factions trying to convert the world map to their habitat, killing the others.
*This metagame would be replayable infinitely as each game the world would be randomized, factions would be randomized and their ships/stations would be randomized.
*Each faction has its own Nemesis Player, an AI controlled agent that is same as the player in terms of what they can do.
*Possibility of using old player designs would be used as enemies in each new campaign, along with user submissions from an online database of player ships and randomly generated ship designs by the game itself.

Theres a couple months worth of emails with Arthur and a 55 page overhaul document that goes over the whole thing in more detail, but that is the basics of it. Roughly.

Thu Sep 04, 2014 12:55 pm
Site Admin

Quote:
I knew Arthur was from Rhode Island before he even said it by how many times the word 'like' was used while the video played :D
glad to see you made it out of here alive!
Providence here.

Cool! My parents are still in Providence, in the jewelry district. I tried not to, like, say like, too much oh well I'm a developer not an public speaker...

Quote:
Those arbitrary points decide everything you can and cannot do in the game. Collection of these points is the primary goal, while the ships and explosions themselves become implicitly a secondary focus as a result.

I want the game to not kill itself too, I do read your posts and think very hard about it. Points in the game model the flow of resources and "energy" which is an integral part of any kind of kind of ecosystem, from ants gathering food points to nations mining iron and oil points. There is always this cyclic flow of gathering resources, doing something creative with them that allows more efficient resource gathering. I know that in the alpha the player gets OP at a certain point and I am definitely working on that! I do believe that "infinite" replayability and ecosystem/resources/points/player progression can coexist.

Thu Sep 04, 2014 1:33 pm

Quote:
Quote:
Those arbitrary points decide everything you can and cannot do in the game. Collection of these points is the primary goal, while the ships and explosions themselves become implicitly a secondary focus as a result.

I want the game to not kill itself too, I do read your posts and think very hard about it. Points in the game model the flow of resources and "energy" which is an integral part of any kind of kind of ecosystem, from ants gathering food points to nations mining iron and oil points. There is always this cyclic flow of gathering resources, doing something creative with them that allows more efficient resource gathering. I know that in the alpha the player gets OP at a certain point and I am definitely working on that! I do believe that "infinite" replayability and ecosystem/resources/points/player progression can coexist.

Thank you for responding, I appreciate letting me know what is making you feel is missing from implementing my suggestion.

Lets see if heard you correctly: You have a need to have a mechanic to model the source of materials from which ships and their cores are built from?

Do you want this out of a sense of realism so it would make sense what is the origin of built things, so that they do not seem to come out out of thin air?

Last edited by Reactorcore on Sat Sep 06, 2014 5:03 am, edited 2 times in total.

Thu Sep 04, 2014 3:16 pm

Reactorcore wrote:
Do you want this out of a sense of realism so it would make sense what is the origin of built things, so that they do not seem to come out out of thin air?

No idea what arthurs reasoning is, but why I'd have a resource system in the game:
1: realism: you can't just churn out limitless quantities of ships from thin air.
2: gameplay: it gives you a reason to spawn smaller allied ships rather than a fleet of juggernauts as they take less resources.

---

There are a few points in the concept you outlined that seemed odd.

*Everything is available from the start, including every block from enemy factions.
- So there is no progression, starting weak and growing to be stronger is something you see often in games, because it works well as a fun mechanic. Revisiting opponents that used to be hard and being able to obliterate them is satisfying.

*A system that penalises ships the larger they get and rewards the smaller they are.
- hard to do in this sort of game without either significant complexity in mechanics of how the ships fly [drag/aerodynamics/etc.], or arbitrary penalties/buffs that are applied to larger/smaller ships.

*Each faction has its own Nemesis Player, an AI controlled agent that is same as the player in terms of what they can do.
- So, they'd be the same as any other AI ship, but can recruit other ships? that's basically the only thing that the player can do that AI can't right now. [AI can upgrade their ship to a better one, they can spawn allies if they have a factory, etc.]

Fri Sep 05, 2014 12:05 am

@Amazigh

I'm itching to write the answers to your questions, but there are two things that are keeping me from doing so.

1. Replying to your questions can cause a huge discussion back and forth, me explaining things, while you and others ask more.
This may be better to do in a separate thread, if people want to post kickstarter related message on this thread.

2. I'm waiting for Arthur to respond to my question to confirm what he tried to say. If we talk a lot on this thread, for several pages, I fear he may find it overwhelming to reply to my question while a huge discussion is going on, missing my chance to see what he meant by what he said.

If you want me to elaborate further, make a new thread. Otherwise I'll just wait for Arthur to respond.
Alternatively, I can reply to you in PM, but then others who may be curious wouldn't be able to see the answers.

Fri Sep 05, 2014 1:11 am

Quote:
Thank you for responding, I appreciate letting me know what is making you feel is missing from implementing my suggestion.

Just noticed I made a mistake here. I probably communicated here by accident that I'm doing this out of ego, when my intention is to offer help to make the game better, not get recognition or praise. :roll:

Sat Sep 06, 2014 5:02 am
Reply to topic   [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2