View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:26 pm

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Kickstarter! 

Woo Kickstarter! Check it out and back us if you can.

Wed Sep 03, 2014 2:00 pm

Hope the kickstarter succeeds, but I must mention that the design structure of the game is contradictory to what you want it to be.

Its says its about spaceships and explosions, when its really about collecting arbitrary points.
Until you max out that is. But then nothing poses a challenge and voids any meaning to the designs you make.

You can polish a broken thing all you want, but it won't stop it from being broken. :|

Wed Sep 03, 2014 3:03 pm

You might see only the collection of arbitrary points, but that's just what you see. When I play the game, sure there's a lot of grinding involved. But I don't mind it (at least when the game runs at a decent fps and doesn't crash) because it's fun, it looks good and makes me think and plan about how to evolve into something greater.

Really, what people see in a game is mostly a reflection about what they themselves can appreciate, not what the game is trying to offer. I've heard people say the thing they like most about Minecraft is hunting mobs and killing them, when that is really a small part of the game and a not very interesting one at that, for me at least. Compared to redstone, where you use your knowledge of simple devices and game mechanics to put together something that does something unique, useful, and helps make the game a little more fun.

Edit: I'm not saying this game is perfect. But it's not broken, either, it just has to work out a bit of balancing and activities to do.

Wed Sep 03, 2014 3:09 pm

Good to see you're on Kickstarter, was really hyped to see a couple of my designs in the screenshots.

----

The game is about spaceships and explosions, you're just looking at it the wrong way.
To put it simply: You get given "arbitrary points" for exploding spaceships, and can then use those points to improve your spaceship so it can explode more spaceships.
Spaceships.
Explosions.

Wed Sep 03, 2014 7:41 pm

I knew Arthur was from Rhode Island before he even said it by how many times the word 'like' was used while the video played :D
glad to see you made it out of here alive!
Providence here.

Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:46 pm

Thanks Amazigh, we really wanted to feature some of the cool designs everyone made for the contest and it also cut down on our workload to show off unique ships. ;)

Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:48 pm

Deceleration wrote:
You might see only the collection of arbitrary points, but that's just what you see.

Those arbitrary points decide everything you can and cannot do in the game. Collection of these points is the primary goal, while the ships and explosions themselves become implicitly a secondary focus as a result.

No points = no content = no choices = no fun.

Thu Sep 04, 2014 1:25 am

Can we not have a fucking argument here.

Thu Sep 04, 2014 4:40 am

Reactorcore, why do you argue so much?

Thu Sep 04, 2014 7:21 am

Sirboomalot wrote:
Reactorcore, why do you argue so much?

I've just seen the same mistake happen over and over again. I don't want it to repeat.

I like this game a lot and want it not to kill itself because of its design. :(

Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:03 am
Reply to topic   [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next