[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
Anisoptera Games - View topic - Expanding Reassembly - ideas
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Sep 18, 2020 5:30 pm

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Expanding Reassembly - ideas 

No doubt influenced by the release of No Man's Sky, I was thinking of ways to take the Reassembly engine and expand on it's current concept.

My thought was that we already have a 'galaxy' that gets procedurally generated. This could just be one solar system in a larger galactic space (pretty sure others have suggested this before). As you go through a wormhole, you are traveling to another system space on a larger galactic map, thus giving the player a sense that there is a greater space.

If you were to travel from system-to-system and had worlds generated as they are now, they would no-doubt be too regular. Just regenerating the same world over and over again. So maybe the region file could change procedurally, so that as you moved from system-to-system there would be variation in layouts or available factions in each system. Maybe Regions.lua has a set of id's for faction placement, but the factions that go in each spot change randomly each time you go through a wormhole and generate a fresh system.

I'm thinking that it's also possible to have factions themselves procedurally generated. If you had a few starting block sets, the colors and stats could be semi-randomized to make other variations.
Ship blueprints would likely have to be preset to maintain an aesthetic structure, but the colors and stats could change to fit the procedurally generated factions.

Player-made Agents could still randomly spawn in regions as they do now, thus maintaining a very cool aspect of the Reassembly we know and love. ... or maybe new procedural factions are expanded/adapted versions of player Agents that now inhabit regions of a system.

Maybe someone could make a program that would generate a mod. Each time you run the program, it semi-randomizes the blocks, colors, some stats, and region ids in the mod. A player's starting faction would have to stay the same, but the next time they travel through a wormhole, they'd get a different looking environment.

Anywho, this is just food for thought. Brainstorming how there might be more to get out of this little piece of software.

Mon Aug 15, 2016 11:27 am

Literally the only thing stopping me making procedural factions with the code I already have is the prospect of auto-generating ship designs.

That and fearing what might happen if I released such a monstrosity upon the world.

Sun Sep 04, 2016 3:14 pm

I've been thinking of having factions generated based on a template blocks.lua and associated ship files. That way everything works and you don't have to program ship construction. ... The program would just enter values into the block file, basically entering damage and such into placeholder spots in the blocks. The ship files would work fine with those blocks as long as the id #'s still lined-up.

You can vary block features, durability, shield values, and faction colors to get some variations, but you wouldn't need a lot of logic to create factions from scratch.

If you had a few of these 'faction templates', you could create a range of variation with out having to make an overly-complicated program. Maybe one template uses standard blocks, another uses penrose blocks, a third uses Borg blocks, and a forth is based off blocks from the Helios faction, etc. etc.

Mon Sep 05, 2016 5:34 am

The one thing i want from this game is for the singleplayer to not just be going around killing the same Easy-Peasy agents.

it's relaxing, but ultimately fulfilling and boring.

The solution i feel would be simple.

When you get to a wormhole you have too choices '' Towards from the galactic core'' '' Away from the galactic core."

On the servers All the player-made-agents should be ranked on their performance.

Go towards the core? higher ranked agents. go away? lower ranked agents.

How should agents be ranked?

Simple.
+ 2 points if any member of the agent fleet destroys a player core.
+ 1 points if a player goes though a wormhole without killing the agent boss.
- 1 points if a player kills the agent boss.

A player's fleet ranking should not go up when they personally (with human piloting skill) destroy an agent boss.

Ta-da.

If this was implemented. I would start playing reassembly TODAY.
As it is, i haven't played it in months.
I did well in the tournaments. I had my fun, but the singleplayer BORES ME.

I'm sorry to say it Arthur, i really love your game. Your programming skills are amazing, but your gameplay design is not the same. The balance issues are haphazard...(the reds are still underpowered i hear, and i know they were ment to be, but they are basically unplayable).

At least if you make the agents work as i have suggested above.....then the FORCES OF EVOLUTION would provide your players with an effectively Indefinite stream of player generated content.

As it is, all i do in single player is fly around and kill the *Same Agents OVER AND OVER again*.
As it is, the single-player is boring once you get good at making 8000p ships.

Sun Sep 11, 2016 3:56 pm

This sounds like a great idea. I too have basically stopped playing singleplayer for those reasons :|

Sun Sep 11, 2016 5:41 pm

The data for the results of the fights could simply be uploaded when they go though the wormhole as well. There is no reason for it to be 'live'.

I would also want one of the agent fleets every level to be a steam-friends design if that's possible.

Sun Sep 11, 2016 9:44 pm

If you gave agents the ability to spawn stations (marked on your map by a red station symbol) that can periodically expand their territory, build secondary fleets, and respawn the main fleet they become a serious threat instead of a minor annoyance.

Mon Sep 12, 2016 10:44 am

the problem with that is a larger area of map would need to be generated, severely taxing even the best computers.

Mon Sep 12, 2016 7:42 pm

Even if it's just a few dice rolls in the background every 5 to 15 minutes?

Mon Sep 12, 2016 8:11 pm

dark's idea is solid, but for it to work, the areas would need to have fewer agents. Possibly even just one.

Regardless, without the idea i suggested, they would still be push-over-agents.

Wed Sep 14, 2016 5:30 pm
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next