View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Dec 13, 2019 8:09 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
Spaceship Sexual Reproduction 

In the mini-chat, MonsPubis mentioned this:
MonsPubis wrote:
Iā€™m thinking about resurrecting the genetic algorithms thing since the other guy just disappeared. It could be fun, no? Maybe enter the genetic ships into the NMSS tournament. give the AI the same rules the player follows, and let it grow a fleet for a month hehe. :P

This gets me thinking.

Is it possible for spaceships with factories to "mate" and create children that resemble their parents? Who knows? :)

Maybe the offspring ships would be unique amongst ships already made and uploaded by the community. :mrgreen:

Also, maybe "sexual" reproduction can only be used by ships that have an AI flag that allows "sexual" reproduction, for balance. :roll:

Also, the ship controlled by the player cannot "mate" or be "mated" with.

For mating to be s G-rated as possible, I suggest a ship and its mating partner would tractor in parts from each other and fed to the core. These parts would be "ghost" blocks, though, so neither ship is broken by the process. After a short delay, if the ships have the resources, they'll spawn the children they bred.

Thu Mar 10, 2016 12:22 pm

Quite fitting that your signature gif at the time looked like this one

Murderballs Faction Mod ver 1.2

Join us at our Reassembly Discord!

Thu Mar 10, 2016 1:31 pm

You'd have a difficult time trying to merge the blueprints from two separate ships.

I suggest something more asexual based around what the game already does.
You could add a new block onto an open node from the blureprint of the parent. The new modified blueprint would make a child.
That child would then have it's own 'children' with a new block added to an open node. ... process repeated to create many generations and growing larger ships.

Each child might have a different block added to a random open node, thus creating a wide variety of future generations.

I guess at some point you'd need some sort of functionality that would chop ship blueprints back down in size, otherwise you'd just have a world full of mongloid junk piles.

Thu Mar 10, 2016 2:44 pm

Quite a fitting vinewhip gif at the bottom of this post~

Anyways I think Arthur is experimenting with this using a Mutate command or something~

Reassembly x10

Thu Mar 10, 2016 5:32 pm

sumplkrum wrote:
I guess at some point you'd need some sort of functionality that would chop ship blueprints back down in size, otherwise you'd just have a world full of mongloid junk piles.

That's why the game generates random "child" blueprints using "chunks" of the parent ships, and uses a valid design. The "chunks" are accordingly placed to avoid overlaps, etc.

Thu Mar 10, 2016 6:33 pm

Pretty neat idea but it seems like it could run into a lot of problems: for instance, it could build a ship with 18 railguns and no thrusters. Imagine if you crossed two 8000P capital ships.. would the result even make sense? It would take more effort than it's actually worth to make something like this. Neat idea, but it won't really work.

Fri Dec 23, 2016 1:37 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]