View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Dec 10, 2019 6:31 am

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
Reassembly with ground vehicles. 

The idea is work on a secon game which plays on the ground.

Different kinds of vehicles:
- Land vehicles
- Helicopters
- Planes
- Ships/Boats

Different terrains
- Desert
- Grassland
- Mountains
- Thundras
- Destroyed towns
- Sea

Tue Nov 24, 2015 1:48 am

I'm not sure if you noticed or not, but reassembly is a 2d game. As such everything you build is already "on the ground" as there is no 3rd dimention to say otherwise. Just imagine the ground is black, and everything is a hovercraft.

Tue Nov 24, 2015 4:11 pm

*cough* Shellcore command skirmish and EP 2 *cough*

Tue Nov 24, 2015 8:08 pm

I'm still working on this thread.

I was thinking about making vehicles with multiple layers in 2D.

As example:

X: Caterpimartracks
O: Engine parts
H: Hull
T: Barrel
Y: Rotateable base

Layer 1:

XXXXXX
HOOOOH
HOOOOH
XXXXXX

Layer 2:

HHHHHH
HYYYYH
HYYYYH
HHHHHH

Layer 3:

HHHH
TTTTTTTTOH
HHHH

I gonna Post a picture of this soon.

Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:15 pm

Land craft, aircraft, and watercraft are largely unnecessary when spacecraft are the status quo. An argument could be made for "cheaper to build specialized vehicles", but in a universe of functionally infinite resources 'cheaper' becomes a progressively less sturdy argument.

The layered construction idea is pretty neat and vaguely reminds me of building things in Dwarf Fortress, but it's not supported by the game engine in its current form and that is way too much to request at this point, I think. If there is to be a sequel, I'd prefer it focused on improving and expanding other aspects of the game--such as fully fleshing out the idea of each faction being an empire rather than a cluster of ships arbitrarily floating around.

We have a Discord, too

Wed Nov 25, 2015 3:14 am

But what is if you make another game without space crafts?
If you are bound at one planete with different factions, you wont need spacecrafts.

The multiple layers are also impotant, at the moment reassembly don't alows turrets which are bigger than their base, so why not putting custom cannons on rotateable plates? Of course I don't got the idea for Reassembly, but it will fit in a own game.

Wed Nov 25, 2015 3:32 am

Wolfen wrote:
But what is if you make another game without space crafts?
If you are bound at one planete with different factions, you wont need spacecrafts.

The multiple layers are also impotant, at the moment reassembly don't alows turrets which are bigger than their base, so why not putting custom cannons on rotateable plates? Of course I don't got the idea for Reassembly, but it will fit in a own game.

Some turrets are bigger than their base. You don't find it often in the standard game, but in some mods you can see the turrets sticking out much, much farther than the base of the weapon. The width of the barrel is based on the projectile damage, the length of the barrel is based on its range, and the number of barrels is based on its rate of fire, I believe. I'm pretty sure all the weapon graphics are dynamically generated.

And if you are bound to one planet, yeah land/sea/air vehicles may have a place, but reassembly isn't bound to one planet. Unless I'm misunderstanding and you're theorizing a whole new game with many mechanics like Reassembly, but on a single planet? In that case, even the ships in Reassembly could be envisioned as hovering and the background could maybe be changed to some land-colored fractal and it would roughly meet your specifications. I'd wager anyone with sufficient technology to make machines that recreate themselves when damaged can probably figure out how to hover above ground/water.

We have a Discord, too

Wed Nov 25, 2015 1:23 pm

You are good on the weapon size, BUT:
The weapon is limited by it's base for it's width.
Also, if you increase the width, this can reduce the number of barrel (to keep the weapon inside)

The length is not limited

Wed Nov 25, 2015 5:33 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]