View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:50 am

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Wormhole Suggestion. Difficulty Selection. 

The idea i had whilst discussing it with Camo5 and Sumplkrum was a simple and relatively easy one to implement.

Player goes to wormhole, when entering selects 'go though wormhole'.
Two 2 choices come up.

Go further out of galaxy (easier agents)
Go further in galaxy (harder agents)

"But how do we rank fleets?" I'm glad you asked. With a simple and easy, automatic and objective method involving 2 ways to get a higher leaderboard-score.

Agents are ranked on a server in terms of difficulty level by how many times they kill a player, with multipliers for multiple kills. They also get points if they are not killed when a player goes though a wormhole, again, with multipliers if they killed a player 1 or more times before the player left the system.
This means that if a player chose to give up trying to kill and agent, and goes though a wormhole leaving them behind the fleet go up in rank on the server leader-boards. It also means a fleet that straight up kills you 10 times in a row gets lots of points.

When a player dies to an agent (either the boss or his support fleet) That fleet goes up in rank on the server. This number could be kept secret.

When killing a fleet you are told what rank that fleet was. (beginner, advanced, elite, godlike, m-m-m-m-m-onsterFleet)

This would make the single-player less of a meaningless grind, but a fight with a purpose.

The agents deeper into the 'galaxy' (leader board) would also be fewer in number as the difficulty level increases, but would have larger-total-p-values.
Encouraging a player to build fleets and not just attempt solo-killing fleets with 8000p vessels.
Only a tiny % of players would fight the final tier of player-agents. Where there is only one agent per system, and that agent has vast armies of support vessels.
All in all this whole system would be relatively easy to program, although it would require effort. However, I feel it would give single-player a meaningful experience.
How far can you go, and the deeper you go, the nastier the monsters you face.

Battle reports (how many kills and ranking) on how well your NPC fleet is doing would also encourage people to build better fleets.

Fri Oct 09, 2015 12:17 am

I think it should be a bit different, that is, no option to lower difficulty, a delay before agents spawn in the world (the higher difficulty the higher the delay) and a difficulty selection while creating a world. Also, the actual difficulty ranking could be a problem, so the lowest/highest difficulties should require more time to be ranked to reduce the probability of either newbies getting wrecked by superfleets and somebody getting tons of beginner ships on the highest difficulty.

Sat Oct 10, 2015 9:48 am

I rather like the idea of rating Agent difficulty based on their effects against players. And from this base, creating tiers of Agent difficulty would be relatively trivial I think (so that newer players would only be matched against the less dangerous agents). Having a leaderboard of "Top Fleets" would be nice too, and players could even download and manually include the best of the best, since all the fleets go through the wormhole anyway and should be available. There'd be a brief time of chaos where every agent fleet would be evenly rated, I suspect, but that should even out pretty quickly. Sucks for those few players, but I don't see it much different than the current system where, to my knowledge, players are just matched against agents at random anyway. It could also be further tempered by including a few 'stock' agents who are decently challenging but not overly dangerous just to allow the player the opportunity to learn and build on their first play-through before unleashing hell.

I do think that if an agent doesn't encounter a player (expressed as no kills on either side) before the player leaves the system, the agent shouldn't be awarded or penalized. Its score should remain unchanged from that player. Otherwise it seems pretty neat.

We have a Discord, too

Sat Oct 10, 2015 3:22 pm

Knightmarez wrote:
When a player dies to an agent (either the boss or his support fleet) That fleet goes up in rank on the server. This number could be kept secret.

This is really open to abuse, eg:
If you see your own fleet you can chose to die to it a lot if you want to increase it's rank.

Sun Oct 11, 2015 12:58 am

Amazigh wrote:
Knightmarez wrote:

This is really open to abuse, eg:
If you see your own fleet you can chose to die to it a lot if you want to increase it's rank.

You could probably spoof it in-memory as well, but the only real result is that fewer people fight your ships. And if your fleet can't hold its own, whenever a player does fight it they'll just murder it and it'll lose rank. If it only saves progress when traveling through wormholes, it'll help reduce repeated abuse.

We have a Discord, too

Sun Oct 11, 2015 1:14 am

Even if someone did that, it would be a tiny % of players, and with 30000 fleet submissions in wormhole.....yeah.....one guy suciding is going to hardly effect his rankings.

Now if someone did hack it, that would be different, but even then it would just bury the best fleets 'deeper' up the list.

The game can't determine if you 'engaged' a fleet. Letting them get a small bonus if the player goes straight to the wormhole is fine.

The multipliers are when a fleet kills the player. That's where the real money is. it should be logarithmic.

etc

if you kill a player 10 times in a row you deserve a big boost up the leader boards.

The beauty of the system is that *every single person* playing the single-player would contribute, and since you can always chose to go down to a 'lower difficulty' it won't frustrate players if they are finding it too hard.

It would also help balance the game, as it would be clear which fleets need nerfing/buffing in a precise manner.

Sun Oct 11, 2015 3:25 am

oh yes, and another thing, you get a score for how well you killed the agents.

The better you do the deeper you can go. we don't want to force people to grind through 10000 crap designs.

Sun Oct 11, 2015 3:42 am

I can only imagine my OP fleet would be sitting at the boss level, waiting with its snot cannons...

Tue Oct 13, 2015 7:48 am

Camo5 wrote:
snot cannons...

aka Plasma Mortars? Yeah, they quickly earn a place on every ship capable of carrying one.

Muzzle Brake. Because not everyone is a fan of Noisy Crickets!

Empire of the Red Sun

Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:08 am

Naa we all know that the top would be fleet with a ton of nukes that insta gibs anything.

Tue Oct 13, 2015 10:39 am
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next