View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Dec 07, 2019 4:59 am

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
Hard and Hardcore singleplayer modes 

I love the idea of reassembly, but I also like games to be challenging. In campaign mode there is little incentive to not die since respawning is essentially free and unlimited.

So I'd like to request some easy to implement end game conditions:

Hard: If you do not have enough C to respawn, (or R stored in a factory ship in your fleet) then you must spawn in a cheaper ship that you can afford. If you die with no C it is game over.

Hardcore: 1 life only. Don't die.

A more complex suggestion: "Corpse recovery" in games like Diablo or Minecraft is fun, because if you die the emphasis shifts from exploration and expansion, suddenly you have a well defined goal and something to lose. In Reassembly, pilots could be a resource. You'd start out with a set number (eg 5) and can buy more but they are expensive (eg 5,000 C each) Destroyed ships eject a pilot. Pilots can be collected by friendly ships or captured by enemy ships by running over them, but not destroyed by gunfire. Enemy ships with a captured pilot inside are marked, similar to the way Agent flagships are marked, and destroying that ship will release the pilot for allies to recover. Recovered pilots must be returned to a factory ship or station to re-enter the pool. Building a ship costs one pilot, dying and respawning costs one pilot. Running out of pilots is game over. Agent pilots could also be captured. Captured pilots could be converted to the capturing side if held for long enough.

An extension of the pilot idea: Rather than a fixed (and expensive) C cost and a fixed number of starter pilots, the pilot cost in C could be the same as the R cost of the ship, but the C cost of the pilot also sets the max R of the ships it can fly, if spawning a ship that is too high R for the available pilot, a "pilot training" C cost is applied to cover the difference. Fleet pilots would gradually level up with experience. This would make your lost pilots even more valuable, since they'd have an associated time investment now too.

Sun Oct 04, 2015 5:28 pm

In my opinion "Hardcore 1 live only" would render the game impossible to play unless you use alternative rules for example: Some sort of "Ironman" tournament where you get ranked based on how many minutes you survived on a "same map seed for everyone" universe...

But, your ideas about pilots are great! I would like to see this implemented. An idea to supplement your own: have a way to "prematurely eject" from a (doomed) ship and possibly gain a "survival" bonus (you eject within a life pod for example).

Sun Oct 04, 2015 8:45 pm

Galenmacil wrote:
In my opinion "Hardcore 1 live only" would render the game impossible to play unless you use alternative rules for example: Some sort of "Ironman" tournament where you get ranked based on how many minutes you survived on a "same map seed for everyone" universe...

But, your ideas about pilots are great! I would like to see this implemented. An idea to supplement your own: have a way to "prematurely eject" from a (doomed) ship and possibly gain a "survival" bonus (you eject within a life pod for example).

Nice. If pilot was actually playable, they'd probably have to be destroyable as well, if death was moved from ship destroyed, to pilot destroyed, one of your fleet ships could pick you up, and you'd play on from that ship. You could even give pilots a very weak weapon, just so they can propel themselves slowly by firing backwards.

Re: On hardcore mode, I think if there even were a score to it, rather than time it would be total C accumulated or something. It would make for shorter games sure, but by no means impossible to play. You can always export your fleet mid-game if you make a design worth keeping. If you've ever played a roguelike it's just a different style of game - it's about seeing how far you can get this time around, death is inevitable but in a sense, it is what gives life meaning.

Sun Oct 04, 2015 11:02 pm

boggers wrote:
You can always export your fleet mid-game if you make a design worth keeping.

Maybe instead when you get a "game over" you get a popup that lets you chose between deleting the save, and switching over to non-permadeath mode and continuing?

Sun Oct 04, 2015 11:19 pm

Amazigh wrote:
Maybe instead when you get a "game over" you get a popup that lets you chose between deleting the save, and switching over to non-permadeath mode and continuing?

That would defeat the purpose of it though? To secure your designs against loss, rather than simply "Game Over" it could just reset your max P to 300 and remove all your tech unlocks. It would be like starting a new game, but with your own pre-designed fleet and no tutorial.

Mon Oct 05, 2015 2:14 am

Hardcore games generally revolve around completely restarting when you die. If it was going to be hardcore, you probably should delete all player designs on death and disable imports. Present the player options for exporting designs after they die so they could use them on non-hardcore games. Dying in a hardcore game demands you start over with the only difference being what you've learned.

For the record, though, I don't believe this type of game is conducive to 'hardcore' gameplay.

If you want it to be harder, play as a different faction. I recommend Reds. Poor thrusters, heavy (and thus slow) ships, fragile armor pieces, low weapon variety, and relatively weak weapons all combine to increase the game's difficulty substantially. Also, they don't have shields either and their command module doesn't produce power.

We have a Discord, too

Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:20 am

boggers wrote:
Amazigh wrote:

That would defeat the purpose of it though? To secure your designs against loss, rather than simply "Game Over" it could just reset your max P to 300 and remove all your tech unlocks. It would be like starting a new game, but with your own pre-designed fleet and no tutorial.

The idea was you'd get a game over, and your "score" would be recorded, but then you could chose to continue and keep the world/your ships in case you really liked it/them.

I was taking the permadeath to be in relation to your ability to progress to getting a high score, not making you lose all your designs on "death"

Maybe something that would work better would be something like this:
MonsPubis wrote:
... disable imports. Present the player options for exporting designs after they die so they could use them on non-hardcore games. ...

Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:25 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]