View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Dec 07, 2019 4:15 am

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Get rid of scoring system and armor regeneration in Tourny? 

Why not add a point cost for all armor and change the scoring system to p destroyed? It's disappointing when my completely intact mother ship to loses to one 44p ship that's left at the end of a round.

Last edited by Cpt. Picard on Sat Oct 03, 2015 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:08 am

No.

However, the scoring system does need some way of dealing with troll ships. However, one could argue that you just need a sniper.

Sat Oct 03, 2015 3:21 pm

Knightmarez wrote:
No.

However, the scoring system does need some way of dealing with troll ships. However, one could argue that you just need a sniper.

Sorry in advance for the slight thread hijacking.

The game needs to reliably use the sniper. The AI, when its opponent has no more guns/missiles/drones, will move in close for the kill to help ensure its shots hit. First, this is completely unnecessary with beams, and second a proper trollship will use melee spikes. The sniper will close the distance and collide with the trollship's melee spikes, thereby killing or severely damaging itself.

This goes back to one of my suggestions for the AI -- either create and allow players to select from specific AI profiles (like Sniper, Hit and Run, Orbit, Brawl, etc) or extend modding support to allow the community to do so. Alternatively, have the AI ignore all weapons tagged "Point Defense" when using its desired range calculations and allow players to effectively select engagement range in that way. Lastly, ships with the vast majority of their blocks in-tact shouldn't trigger "finish him" behavior.

We have a Discord, too

Sat Oct 03, 2015 3:31 pm

I don't mind the topic change. I agree, it would be very cool to select AI behavior.

Um . . . What's a troll?

Sat Oct 03, 2015 5:51 pm

I think a troll is a slow, massive ship with hilarious amounts of armor and just a few token engines and guns [or none at all!]. It's generally meant to tank enemy attacks long enough for your DPS gank ships to destroy the attacker. Some trolls have high-damage weapons buried deep in the armor belt, and these have good harassment value. Fighting against these behemoths is how you learn why we call it a troll.

Muzzle Brake. Because not everyone is a fan of Noisy Crickets!

Empire of the Red Sun

Sat Oct 03, 2015 7:58 pm

Cpt. Picard wrote:
I don't mind the topic change. I agree, it would be very cool to select AI behavior.

Um . . . What's a troll?

The quintessential troll ship has one or no thrusters (assuming that doesn't then make it qualify as a station), no guns, and a ton of armor. It tricks the opposing AI into using its "finish him" behavior in which they move in close for the kill, often bumping into or getting stuck on the troll ship. Some of them also include a layer of Armor Spikes from the Sentinel faction, which causes ships crashing into the troll ship to damage or destroy themselves. If you watch the October tournament and watch Liarra Sniffles' matches, watch how the ships tend to get stuck on the blockers. Those are troll ships and those ones don't feature armor spikes.

We have a Discord, too

Sun Oct 04, 2015 4:02 am

I just had an idea.

Why not remove points completely, and determine victory based on annihilation, or the P value still attached to ships on each one, and the fleet with more P still flying around at the end wins.

Sun Oct 04, 2015 6:55 am

Camo5 wrote:
I just had an idea.

Why not remove points completely, and determine victory based on annihilation, or the P value still attached to ships on each one, and the fleet with more P still flying around at the end wins.

This could work too. I imagine there's some reasoning behind avoiding ships that just run away forever, but even with the current system it doesn't do a particularly good job of scoring points if it does. There may also be some intentional balancing between shields / armor since armor is much cheaper and often more durable than shields, and in many cases protects just as well.

We have a Discord, too

Sun Oct 04, 2015 12:06 pm

Camo5 wrote:
I just had an idea.

That's what I've been whining about! But the problem with that is that troll ships would get a massive boost in effectiveness because armor has no p value. Which is why I've suggested changing the scoring system to p destroyed AND giving armor a p value. It's not that simple but I think with some work and rebalancing it would be a more realistic and fair scoring system. The Tournament Mode is obviously secondary to the main game which makes sense because I imagine the core game is what mostly attracts people to Reassembly. It would be awesome to get a rebalanced, standalone tournament mode with it's own conditions. If I knew how to program I would mod the game. But unfortunately I'm not very capable with those types of things. And I'm lazy too so I want other people to do things for me.

Sun Oct 04, 2015 12:11 pm

In a perfect world, we would get access to some sort of "Tournament Rules and Options" screen where different scoring mechanism could be changed or turned off, etc... More options is always better than no option or to force players to use "only one TRUE rule set"...

Sun Oct 04, 2015 8:23 pm
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next