View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Dec 13, 2019 3:22 am

Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
Fleet tournament point system rework 

Camo5 wrote:
Heh...a 17P troll ship is now a VERY useful distraction...

Is the AI capable of avoiding headbutting trollships indefinitely? I haven't subscribed to the beta branch. I imagine if they're wise enough to sit back, it could be nice.

Overall I think this design will encourage more "load it up with armor" designs and fewer "throw a bunch of guns under a shield" designs, but that's just speculation. Fringe cases like unarmed trollships could be problematic though.

I still think points should be awarded based on P cost of weapons/thrusters/shields or as some fraction of module health for the rest.

Also, arthur, are points awarded for all the remaining modules if you blow up a command center? This is one of the main reasons swarms work so well is that they award almost no points.

We have a Discord, too

Thu Oct 29, 2015 3:09 pm

yup, a 15k swarm is worth exactly 15k points, regardless of ship type. Basically, it has become best killing type wins, trollships being a bit of an exception.

Thu Oct 29, 2015 4:44 pm
Site Admin

Points are awarded based on % health or % P value, whichever is more. Points are awarded for the whole ship if the command block dies. Highly armored, low P ships may be a low point distraction, but the AI should prioritize high P ships if they are in range.

Thu Nov 05, 2015 2:38 am

In the latest tournament, we saw that heavily armored ships are now extremely powerful in a competitive environment on account of the fact that they have immensely high durability and, because armor has almost no point value, it causes the ships to cost very few points and, thus, award almost no points.

I'd like to reiterate my suggestion in a newer form, basically a slightly modified version of the current system. A ship's potential awarded points should be more like this:

Potential Value = (Total P value of all modules) + (Total Health of all modules * 0.05)

This would cause more points to be awarded than fleet budget, which I think wasn't the idea behind the current system, however the current system overly favors armor and removes the incentive to use shields. In the last tournament I had, the top slots were almost exclusively Sentinel fleets as a result of this fact. For balance reasons, the health coefficient may need to be adjusted, but that's relatively simple.

We have a Discord, too

Sun Nov 15, 2015 5:51 pm

MonsPubis wrote:
In the latest tournament, we saw that heavily armored ships are now extremely powerful in a competitive environment on account of the fact that they have immensely high durability and, because armor has almost no point value, it causes the ships to cost very few points and, thus, award almost no points.

I'd like to reiterate my suggestion in a newer form, basically a slightly modified version of the current system. A ship's potential awarded points should be more like this:

Potential Value = (Total P value of all modules) + (Total Health of all modules * 0.05)

This would cause more points to be awarded than fleet budget, which I think wasn't the idea behind the current system, however the current system overly favors armor and removes the incentive to use shields. In the last tournament I had, the top slots were almost exclusively Sentinel fleets as a result of this fact. For balance reasons, the health coefficient may need to be adjusted, but that's relatively simple.

I like this a bit more than the current system, it's this or make armor have a p-value (which I think not a lot of people actually want)

Sun Nov 15, 2015 6:20 pm

Starficz wrote:
I like this a bit more than the current system, it's this or make armor have a p-value (which I think not a lot of people actually want)

I'm on the "No P value for Armor" bandwagon. It would, first, destabilize all the ships in the game, for the most part. Everything's P value would shoot up. It would single handedly murder the problems with trollships, but at the same time would require every player to redesign every ship. This problem doesn't really exist in campaign mode, so I think that's unfair.

Thus we work with the problem we can: altering the point formula.

We have a Discord, too

Sun Nov 15, 2015 6:50 pm
Reply to topic   [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3