View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Dec 13, 2019 8:40 pm

Reply to topic  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Spinners: Losing you game-sales. 

Knightmarez wrote:
It's out of touch with the common player.
As I said, you can't blame players for playing to win, and you can't blame the creator for doing such a good job.
I highlight in red the important point so people don't have to read every detail, they can get the gist quickly.

Who is the common player? Where are the statistics about these sales that are being lost solely due to spinners? If we are basing ourselves on personal views like yours seems to be, then I'll let you know that I am quite happy that Reassembly supports spinners, contrary to Gimbal where it was just not possible to do it properly. That's a sale more for Reassembly and not for Gimbal (just using it as reference since it's a similar game).

Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:38 am

I feel like there has to be some kind of counter strategy. If not, then maybe some numbers need to be tweaked and/or something done to create a viable counter.

Thu Sep 10, 2015 10:17 am

Mikee wrote:
I feel like there has to be some kind of counter strategy. If not, then maybe some numbers need to be tweaked and/or something done to create a viable counter.

There is a counter strategy that works on *some* spinners:
Have a thick layer of armour to protect you from the splash damage their weapons deal, and use long range laser weapons as they can't be dodged.
This only works as long as your ship can tank the damage for long enough to kill the spinners, but it's a possible strategy.

Thu Sep 10, 2015 12:58 pm

Not really, all that happens is you might get though, maybe. The bigger the fight the less chance that is as the overlapping fields of ...what...'fire'?
more like 360' Spraying....well anyway the overlap reduces the chances even your thick fast armour gets to it.

And what a bout the factions that aren't able to effectively do that.

The fact that spinners are even a problem is a testament to Arthur's programming and AI design skills. They are not however a testament to his balancing and player-enjoyment awareness.

Remove them, get more sales.

'' Reassembly? yeah it seemed really awesome at first in the trailers, but then I played it and the competitive ships were these silly spinning disks that just raped everything. Meh. It's alright."

That is quote word for word what many players are going to say about your game.
Word of mouth is super-important to increase sales.
The Hardcore players don't mind? so what. they never do.

Yeah its trippy to look at whilst high on drugs.
so what, fix it.

Btw...I'm a game designer, I'm just giving some words of advice out of love for the best 'shell-core' game out there.......for now.....

Thu Sep 10, 2015 4:14 pm

Quote:
Dexious: yet arthur makes custom faction that's entirely spinners
Dexious: wtf arthur

Knightmarez: that's because he's out of touch with the common gamer
Knightmarez: getting killed by spinners isn't fun, esp after an hour+ of ship building
Knightmarez: its ''meh this game is meh''

Dexious: oh my god
Dexious: that's exactly how one of my friends thought when i showed him this

Thu Sep 10, 2015 4:19 pm

Perhaps, just perhaps, Arthur cares more about what makes Reassembly Reassembly than the money.

If all devs cared solely about profit, we would have nothing but World of Warcraft clones.

Fri Sep 11, 2015 4:19 pm

Arthur never intended tournament mode to be the main draw of the game, he wanted the exploration to be priority one, which in my mind it still is. The average player is going to play for about 6 hours or 600 hours.

Mon Sep 14, 2015 6:49 am

Lugiathan wrote:
Perhaps, just perhaps, Arthur cares more about what makes Reassembly Reassembly than the money.

If all devs cared solely about profit, we would have nothing but World of Warcraft clones.

They'd be LoL or DOTA clones, and I wouldn't be a gamer at all ever as a result.

Checkmate!

Muzzle Brake. Because not everyone is a fan of Noisy Crickets!

Empire of the Red Sun

Mon Sep 14, 2015 6:53 am

Lugiathan wrote:

World of Warcraft clones had their day, and a lot of game development studios closed their doors as a result. Hopefully the industry as a whole has learned from this.

We have a Discord, too

Mon Sep 14, 2015 1:21 pm

Stay on topic please. Spinners are Liked by some of the people here, but are clearly unpopular with many too. It's on the fence, but the profit loss from a common player pushes it I think.

Sun Sep 20, 2015 3:19 pm
Reply to topic   [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next