View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Dec 15, 2019 5:51 pm

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
AI Behavior Suggestions 

I've seen a few of these threads lately and so I apologize if there are duplicates, but I figured I'd collect some suggestions, at least of my own, for AI behavior.

• Profile drop-down - When designing a ship, you can often think of ways to use your ship that will be very effective, but sometimes the AI chooses a different way. You can either scrap the ship, live with it, or adapt the ship, but ultimately the AI is going to use it however it sees fit. I'd like to be able to give the AI profiles for how it should behave. "Stand off", "Brawl", "Hit and Run", "Strafing runs" or "Jousting" would be just a few examples.
  • Point Defense weapons not counted as part of engagement DPS - Sometimes, when a ship is matched against a target with superior long-ranged damage output, they'll rush in to use their point defense weapons to help even the odds. This almost always gets the underdog destroyed very quickly. This could invalidate some designs, but a contingency "If all weapons are tagged point defense, then count them" should help.
  • Components tagged Mission Critical - If I'm designing a long-range sniper with a few spinal mounted cannons, I want it to stand back at a distance and fire. If those cannons are destroyed, I want it to run away and regenerate them, rather than relying on its point defense weapons to win. This could be assisted by the above, but a more formal system would be nice, too.
  • Boundary awareness - The AI seems to be completely unaware of the boundary of the arena. Sometimes this causes ships to go careening into the edge and get themselves killed by their pursuers where otherwise a couple of 30 degree turns, spaced out, would have kept the ship alive. (EDIT: Also, they can get too easily stuck on the boundary as well.)

EDIT: Another few that have come to my attention since the original post.

• Execution Behavior - The AI should not trigger execution behavior if the enemy ship is still largely in-tact. In fact, I'd save execution behavior for 'when it's just a core' rather than the current system where it fires as soon as the enemy has no weapons.
  • Approach Behavior - Currently, the AI approaches slower-moving targets in a straight line. Due to momentum, this causes them to zip into a much closer range than necessary. Doing so removes many advantages of longer-ranged weapons. Instead, I'd like to see it approach at a range closer to its weapon range. (Simple trigonometry should help direct the AI to where it should arrive, I'd think)
  • Assessing Threat - Currently, the AI considers Melee Spikes to simply be armor. The result of this error is disastrous, especially when coupled with Execution Behavior above.

We have a Discord, too

Last edited by MonsPubis on Fri Nov 06, 2015 4:51 am, edited 5 times in total.

Tue Sep 01, 2015 3:45 pm

While I find the AI already pretty decent at handling many possible types of ships, the above suggestions are pretty good. I have also found myself with ship designs that should be staying further back and dodging while trying to hit instead of rushing, or of ships getting distracted by missile spam that they shouldn't be worried about thanks to many point defense weapons.

Mon Sep 07, 2015 6:19 am

Considering I've spent half the night fighting with an obstinate F4 sniper that won't even shoot at the thing it's running from, this gets an emphatic YES. PLEASE. from me.

Would be nice to stop seeing my allies in campaign crush themselves to death against asteroids, too.

Sun Oct 11, 2015 1:21 am

Kieve wrote:
Considering I've spent half the night fighting with an obstinate F4 sniper that won't even shoot at the thing it's running from, this gets an emphatic YES. PLEASE. from me.

Would be nice to stop seeing my allies in campaign crush themselves to death against asteroids, too.

This ^^^

Sun Oct 11, 2015 6:58 am

Kieve wrote:

This is likely not an issue with the AIs behaviour, but rather to do with how the thrusters are set up on the ship.
If the ship bumps into an asteroid and has no thrusters that would let it move away from the asteroid (be it by design or by damage) then the ship will try to use what thrusters it has in an attempt to turn around, but this usually results in the ship thrusting itself straight into the asteroid and slowly killing itself.

Sun Oct 11, 2015 11:36 am

Amazigh wrote:
Kieve wrote:

This is likely not an issue with the AIs behaviour, but rather to do with how the thrusters are set up on the ship.
If the ship bumps into an asteroid and has no thrusters that would let it move away from the asteroid (be it by design or by damage) then the ship will try to use what thrusters it has in an attempt to turn around, but this usually results in the ship thrusting itself straight into the asteroid and slowly killing itself.

This has everything to do with AI. They have the thrusters to reverse, and choose not to use them. Instead, they faceplant the rock and grind themselves to death against it.

Sun Oct 11, 2015 1:50 pm

MonsPubis wrote:
I've seen a few of these threads lately and so I apologize if there are duplicates, but I figured I'd collect some suggestions, at least of my own, for AI behavior.

• Profile drop-down - When designing a ship, you can often think of ways to use your ship that will be very effective, but sometimes the AI chooses a different way. You can either scrap the ship, live with it, or adapt the ship, but ultimately the AI is going to use it however it sees fit. I'd like to be able to give the AI profiles for how it should behave. "Stand off", "Brawl", "Hit and Run", "Strafing runs" or "Jousting" would be just a few examples.
  • Point Defense weapons not counted as part of engagement DPS - Sometimes, when a ship is matched against a target with superior long-ranged damage output, they'll rush in to use their point defense weapons to help even the odds. This almost always gets the underdog destroyed very quickly. This could invalidate some designs, but a contingency "If all weapons are tagged point defense, then count them" should help.
  • Components tagged Mission Critical - If I'm designing a long-range sniper with a few spinal mounted cannons, I want it to stand back at a distance and fire. If those cannons are destroyed, I want it to run away and regenerate them, rather than relying on its point defense weapons to win. This could be assisted by the above, but a more formal system would be nice, too.
  • Boundary awareness - The AI seems to be completely unaware of the boundary of the arena. Sometimes this causes ships to go careening into the edge and get themselves killed by their pursuers where otherwise a couple of 30 degree turns, spaced out, would have kept the ship alive.

EDIT: Another few that have come to my attention since the original post.

• Execution Behavior - The AI should not trigger execution behavior if the enemy ship is still largely in-tact. In fact, I'd save execution behavior for 'when it's just a core' rather than the current system where it fires as soon as the enemy has no weapons.
  • Approach Behavior - Currently, the AI approaches slower-moving targets in a straight line. Due to momentum, this causes them to zip toward the target. Doing so removes many advantages of longer-ranged weapons. Instead, I'd like to see it approach at a range closer to its weapon range. (Simple trigonometry should help direct the AI to where it should arrive, I'd think)
  • Assessing Threat - Currently, the AI considers Melee Spikes to simply be armor. The result of this error is disastrous, especially when coupled with Execution Behavior above.

I LOVE this idea, no complaints at all.

Kieve wrote:
Amazigh wrote:
Kieve wrote:

This has everything to do with AI. They have the thrusters to reverse, and choose not to use them. Instead, they faceplant the rock and grind themselves to death against it.

While I don't tend to see much death-by-asteroid in my campaigns. what I do see allot of while playing as the Crystalline faction is(and mostly due to their long branching ship designs) "kissing" or "dancing" ships hooked together unable to escape from each other or even better a ship "Carrying" a small asteroid/group of small ships.

Sun Oct 11, 2015 5:04 pm

Kieve wrote:

Yeah it might be down to AI in that case, but even though they might have thrusters that'd allow them to reverse, their turning thrusters might be overpowering them so they are instead grinding themselves to death.

Sun Oct 11, 2015 7:04 pm

I try to design my ships' thruster sets to form a bit of a 'tractor' configuration. Forward thrusters near the bow, reverse at the stern, and so on. If the ship crashes and destroys a number of thrusters, the ones that survive will automatically be configured to pull the ship off the asteroid in the course of maneuvering. This becomes a bit less of a design consideration with ships coated in melee spikes.

Muzzle Brake. Because not everyone is a fan of Noisy Crickets!

Empire of the Red Sun

Mon Oct 12, 2015 6:13 am
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]