View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:12 am

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
The counters to melee armour? 

With nearly 1000 hours in Reassembly i still haven't tested what a suitable anti melee design is. I was hoping some people could give me ideas about what can be done about melee armour and the best way around it. I have found that even hull with insane health just gets sliced by sentinel armour and that most other ways of countering it are well, more melee armour. Which seems a bit counter productive honestly, any help would be great.

Sun Oct 16, 2016 1:13 pm

The only counter to melee armor is maneuverability and firepower. if you can damage the armor, it renders it less effective. Also, welcome to the forums!

Mon Oct 17, 2016 7:39 pm

yeah, we love the game, but the balance is hap-hazard :3
Suggestion : The other races should get 'armour' that is close combat type section, but they should be heavy, and not to close combat damage, just count for blocking .

Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:54 am

My Newton's First Law mod nerfed melee armour and spinners.

To nerf melee armour, I use these cvars set:
kMeleeDamageDivisor = 0.1
kMeleeDamageExponent = 0.1
kMeleeDamageMinVel = 6000
kMeleeImpactDamageReduction = 0.01
kBlockExplodeChance = 100000000

Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:14 am

Knightmarez wrote:
Suggestion : The other races should get 'armour' that is close combat type section, but they should be heavy, and not to close combat damage, just count for blocking .

You can make blocks with features=MELEE and meleeDamage=0 to get "melee defence armour". They take less melee damage, and do few melee damage just like normal hulls. If you set meleeDamage=-1, they will do no melee damage at all.

Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:17 am

Camo5 wrote:
The only counter to melee armor is maneuverability and firepower. if you can damage the armor, it renders it less effective. Also, welcome to the forums!

Thanks and also yea being mobile seems to be the only overall legit way of handling it. Would be awesome if the developer added an armour piercing effect of some kind to add a bit more variety to dealing with armour types. Would make weapons choices and hull choices very interesting but alas gonna have to make do with the current setup of weapons and hull.

Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:58 am

Lilyan wrote:
Knightmarez wrote:

You can make blocks with features=MELEE and meleeDamage=0 to get "melee defence armour". They take less melee damage, and do few melee damage just like normal hulls. If you set meleeDamage=-1, they will do no melee damage at all.

I will probably make modded factions with this setup as its the only way for slow factions to counter melee.

Wed Oct 19, 2016 12:00 pm

TankHusk wrote:
I will probably make modded factions with this setup as its the only way for slow factions to counter melee.

"kMeleeDamageMinVel = 6000" can nerf all melee armours.
For slow factions, we can give them lasers with huge immobilizeForce and linearForce, so they can push melee attackers away.

Last edited by Lilyan on Thu Oct 20, 2016 5:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Oct 19, 2016 6:34 pm

TankHusk wrote:
Would be awesome if the developer added an armour piercing effect of some kind to add a bit more variety to dealing with armour types.

There really are only two armor types. "Melee" and "Not Melee" and both suffer the same amount of damage when struck by incoming fire. Therefore, given the size of melee armor, "splash radius" would be armor piercing.

As for dealing with it more specifically: use a lot of lateral thrust. The target has to come at you to hit you with melee armor. If you can move to the side faster than the aggressor can turn and alter their speed, they can't hit you. Think "dodging a charging bull". Getting the AI to do this is another matter entirely.

Also, your best bet for dealing with melee armor ships involves very high alpha damage with splash radius. Tinkrell guns can do a good job when used right, but other factions you'll probably need the biggest guns your choice of faction has to offer. Think Longbow, Antimatter Cannons, Torpedos, Nuclear Option, and things like that. Additionally Sentinels can counter melee armor with other melee armor backed by Annihilators. And if you're playing Bees, I'm sorry but you have no tools to effectively address them. Just run away and use drones while hoping for the best.

Do keep in mind that as you destroy melee armor (the big sections are 4,000 HP, something else to keep in mind), you decrease the target's mass and thus increase its speed.

We have a Discord, too

Thu Oct 20, 2016 4:10 am

MonsPubis wrote:
TankHusk wrote:
Would be awesome if the developer added an armour piercing effect of some kind to add a bit more variety to dealing with armour types.

There really are only two armor types. "Melee" and "Not Melee" and both suffer the same amount of damage when struck by incoming fire. Therefore, given the size of melee armor, "splash radius" would be armor piercing.

As for dealing with it more specifically: use a lot of lateral thrust. The target has to come at you to hit you with melee armor. If you can move to the side faster than the aggressor can turn and alter their speed, they can't hit you. Think "dodging a charging bull". Getting the AI to do this is another matter entirely.

Also, your best bet for dealing with melee armor ships involves very high alpha damage with splash radius. Tinkrell guns can do a good job when used right, but other factions you'll probably need the biggest guns your choice of faction has to offer. Think Longbow, Antimatter Cannons, Torpedos, Nuclear Option, and things like that. Additionally Sentinels can counter melee armor with other melee armor backed by Annihilators. And if you're playing Bees, I'm sorry but you have no tools to effectively address them. Just run away and use drones while hoping for the best.

Do keep in mind that as you destroy melee armor (the big sections are 4,000 HP, something else to keep in mind), you decrease the target's mass and thus increase its speed.

I was pretty tired at the time i posted that but yes splash damage is a counter to all armour types. The Weakness to aoe being shields, i should of probably said that it would be good to have different armour types and then have different weapon types to counter them. The thing with melee is its only good if the attacker has thrust to compensate, that and the AI are a complete joke using melee half the time, it just is't that strong. Thanks for the tips everyone.

Thu Oct 20, 2016 7:36 am
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next