View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Dec 07, 2019 7:15 pm

Reply to topic  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Splinterman's 12 Kings Event Brainstorming -POSTPONED- 

★ Conga ★ wrote:
Well, just think about balance~❤

Also if you do a "royal rumble" type of thing where everyone is fighting at the same time, it's kinda unbalanced because some ships will be on the edge of the fight giving them an easy escape, then some would be picked on by 7 ships at the same time, then some wouldn't be good at close range, etc~

Good point; I was considering creating a structure specifically for the royal rumble, so I could either construct a large ring-like super asteroid of about radius 8000 so that nobody can escape, or maybe I could construct a room made of smaller chambers and spawn 2 kings to a chamber so that 1 vs 7 situations do not happen as often. I do think that in free-for-all mode, it will be very improbable that 7 will gang up without fighting each other first. I'll experiment first to make sure it'll be fair before I decide how to conduct the royal rumble.

The royal rumble will probably be worth less points than the main event, so if you performed well in the 1v1s in the 48 hours prior, then you'll win plenty of prize money anyways, whereas if you made a ship that was good enough to dominate 1v1s and become a king normally as well as survive the chaotic royal rumble, I think you would deserve the extra credit

Murderballs Faction Mod ver 1.2

Join us at our Reassembly Discord!

Thu Feb 18, 2016 5:12 am

This is a really cool idea. Can't wait for the event!

Thu Feb 18, 2016 10:09 am

I'm a big fan of the royal rumble idea, and using sandbox to make it happen seems interesting and would appear to solve one of my future-problems. And this will all be streamed? How do you intend to automate this process? That's where my main curiosity comes from. Launching game, populating/rotating tournament (s), then exiting game seems outside the scope of the game's normal function. It could probably be done with some clever AHK work, but I'm not familiar with the game's command line well enough.

We have a Discord, too

Thu Feb 18, 2016 9:37 pm

MonsPubis wrote:
I'm a big fan of the royal rumble idea, and using sandbox to make it happen seems interesting and would appear to solve one of my future-problems. And this will all be streamed? How do you intend to automate this process? That's where my main curiosity comes from. Launching game, populating/rotating tournament (s), then exiting game seems outside the scope of the game's normal function. It could probably be done with some clever AHK work, but I'm not familiar with the game's command line well enough.

Good question, since I'm gonna be asking myself these questions someday soon.

Streamed?
Yes, I've been running all kinds of tests today. Will be using OBS for this, since XSplit doesn't give me the quality I want for free. Will be trying to run at a 4800 bitrate at 60fps at 1280x1024 resolution. I could crank it up to ultrawide 3440x1440 for kicks and giggles, but I'm not sure yet what resolution I really want.

How do you intend to automate this process?
I intend to repurpose my java-based 3d-engine so that it will take care of all automation through the use of Java.Robot for clicking/file-manipulation as well as provide extra overlays such as point-counters and song-tickers.

Launching Game
- Will start off launched. If there is a crash I may need to start it manually (and have an emergency cutoff button for the robot, and allow it to resume normally later) or have an automatic detection/recovery program.

Populating Tournaments
- Will most likely scrape the wormhole page html to reliably get the download link. The download link also provides the timestamp which will be used to see if it is a stale submission or not. Each player will have luagz file which will be renamed to their id in the download without the timestamp, which will correspond to their last legal submission. New submissions will replace this file.

Rotating Tournaments
I will not be implementing a text-reader, so in the tournament import screen I will rely on clicking the top-left button to get what I want. So I might have a folder called Desktop/aaa which will basically be my loading dock. My java program will know which ship will fight next since it will handle the html scraping from before so it knows the submission order and therefore the battle order. The robot (java program) will find the next fighter in the queue, copy the ship file and place it into Desktop/aaa after it wipes the contents of the Desktop/aaa folder so that there is only 1 ship to import every time. Every battle will be a fresh tournament screen so that I only have to import 2 ships and only use the top 2 entries every time. I'm considering checking my log files in order to see who is the winner, and this will determine who to place in the next battle as king.

Royal Rumble will probably require some fancy console work (most likely a few long scripts to put into the console) which will continuously set cursor positions as well as handle activation faction settings. That part I'm still hazy on.

Update: the code for getting the latest ship/fleet loaded from a wormhole url and keeping the ship updated is now working

Last edited by Splinterman on Fri Feb 19, 2016 12:18 am, edited 3 times in total.

Thu Feb 18, 2016 10:08 pm

this might just become the largest rock-paper-scissors match ever, im imagining one guy having a f-4 sniper and then 10 others fight him with a f-7 rusher, and so on.

Thu Feb 18, 2016 10:22 pm

Starficz wrote:
this might just become the largest rock-paper-scissors match ever, im imagining one guy having a f-4 sniper and then 10 others fight him with a f-7 rusher, and so on.

Yup, which is why submission notifications will make things even more interesting, because the first person to submit an f-7 rusher will have that submission be announced publicly on stream, allowing other contestants to examine that guys wormhole (the wormholes are public after all) and instead of having 10 f-7 rushers, the other 9 can make something to counter the f-7 rusher. And at the end of it all, the f-7 rusher guy can pull the rug out from under everyone and change his submission at the very end. Sooo RPS, with a hint of racing.

Edit: Or if the f-7 rusher doesn't change his submission, the f-4 sniper can pull the rug under everyone by beating the f-7 rusher and then beating the guy who tried to counter the f-7 rusher but has to fight an f-4 sniper instead

Thu Feb 18, 2016 10:26 pm

Update regarding Intermissions

Intermissions: Since each cycle is 4 hours long, expect at least 3 hours of air time between each battle, which will feature elevator music courtesy of Monstercat, a countdown timer, and notifications of any submissions. Filling in this dead-time will be a variety of bonus events, from which extra points can be awarded. For these bonus events every contestant has a crusader/knight which will be used, which is selected based on the number of wins the ship has.

Here are some of the possible bonus events

After cycle 12: King of Kings bonus event: After all 12 kings have been selected, a final free-for-all royal rumble between all 12 kings at the end of the game will select he king of kings. 12 points go to the victor.

After Cycle 11: King of Knights bonus event: All knights duke it out in a free-for-all royal rumble between all crusaders to select the king of knights. 11 points go to the victor

After cycle 10: The x10 Tournament: Using Conga's x10 mod, all knights will duke it out in subpool or bracket format to find the x10 winner. 10 points go to the victor.

Fashion Show: Either chat-voting or a strawpoll to find the most fashionable knight. Ties can be broken through combat. ? points go to the victor.

Agent Gauntlet: Each knight has random agents spawned against it to see which knight lasts the most waves. Ties broken through combat. ? points go to the victor.

Obstacle Course: small enemies create a path through a maze with the winner clearing all path-enemies the quickest. (Can probably be accomplished by having a tournament start off paused, then performing console magic)

Broadcasting:
When bonus events are not in play, every contestant will have the opportunity to broadcast their Reassembly game using Steam's built-in broadcaster and all broadcasts can be shown on-stream at the same time for everyone to see all of the contestant's in-game activities at the same time. Everyone also can choose to not broadcast for privacy preferences. Active broadcasters might receive 1 point per cycle.

Fri Feb 19, 2016 5:26 am

Splinterman wrote:
Update regarding Intermissions

Intermissions: Since each cycle is 4 hours long, expect at least 3 hours of air time between each battle, which will feature elevator music courtesy of Monstercat, a countdown timer, and notifications of any submissions. Filling in this dead-time will be a variety of bonus events, from which extra points can be awarded. For these bonus events every contestant has a crusader/knight which will be used, which is selected based on the number of wins the ship has.

Here are some of the possible bonus events

After cycle 10: The x10 Tournament: Using Conga's x10 mod, all knights will duke it out in subpool or bracket format to find the x10 winner. 10 points go to the victor.

Obstacle Course: small enemies create a path through a maze with the winner clearing all path-enemies the quickest. (Can probably be accomplished by having a tournament start off paused, then performing console magic)

Broadcasting:
When bonus events are not in play, every contestant will have the opportunity to broadcast their Reassembly game using Steam's built-in broadcaster and all broadcasts can be shown on-stream at the same time for everyone to see all of the contestant's in-game activities at the same time. Everyone also can choose to not broadcast for privacy preferences. Active broadcasters might receive 1 point per cycle.

Yays, he chose my x10 idea~❤

But for the obstacle course, h-have you seen ships trying to navigate through asteroids~? ^^"
Also nice broadcasting idea but as for the points, what if they have really rip internet and just can't do it~?
Just a thought~~

Reassembly x10

Fri Feb 19, 2016 5:50 am

★ Conga ★ wrote:
But for the obstacle course, h-have you seen ships trying to navigate through asteroids~? ^^"
Also nice broadcasting idea but as for the points, what if they have really rip internet and just can't do it~?
Just a thought~~

I'm hoping that stationary breadcrumb-like enemies will guide them correctly past the asteroids, I'll have to test it myself to make sure it works before putting it on the official agenda. A lot of these bonus round ideas are experimental and if I end up being too busy between now and then I may need to drop them.

I did an upload speed check earlier and it seemed reasonable; I believe steam allows you to broadcast at crappy resolutions, and it may depend on the resolution you are playing at. I just need to make sure my own internet doesn't go rip if 30 people join all wanting to broadcast and my internet can't handle 30 streams at once while streaming itself; I do have an idea on how to make it a smaller number of streams at once allowing it to connect to a different user every couple of minutes so that can work. if someone is interested in broadcasting for points but can't do it (maybe doesn't have steam or whatever), we'll cross that bridge when we get there

Fri Feb 19, 2016 6:02 am
Site Admin

It's possible to launch the game immediately in tournament mode via the command line - this might be helpful for scripting (actually how the wormhole feed works).

Reassembly --SandboxScript="bracket [path to ships] [path to more ships]"

[path to ships] can be a directory with several ship files, or a spcific .lua.gz or .lua file. If the file contains several ships they will be entered as separate contestants.

Might want to also set "--LoadSuperFast=1 --SteamEnable=0 --NetworkEnable=0 --TimestampLog=0" to speed up load time and make the log easier to find.

Tue Feb 23, 2016 6:48 pm
Reply to topic   [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next