View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Dec 13, 2019 7:56 pm

Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Are ships made of out of Vectors or Meshes? 

Hmm, I never noticed any of that artifacting corner thing you mention, but what you say does make sense logically.

I actually feel really excited when you mentioned shaders, I hadn't thought of those before or how flexible can they be for something that I normally would have expected to be done via vector graphics or 3d meshes. This information really opens up new stuff for me to look for, so thank you for that. : )

And if the shields really are made via shaders, then seems like pixel shaders are pretty performance efficient too, since I can have hundreds of shields active in Reassembly and still run at a smooth fps count. This is really worth looking into! : D

Sat Jan 30, 2016 9:43 am

Reactorcore wrote:
And if the shields really are made via shaders, then seems like pixel shaders are pretty performance efficient too, since I can have hundreds of shields active in Reassembly and still run at a smooth fps count. This is really worth looking into! : D

No problem! :D
Also as a side note, although pixel shaders can do a lot of amazing things efficiently, if you have a lot of large overlapping quads, it will start biting into your performance.

Murderballs Faction Mod ver 1.2

Join us at our Reassembly Discord!

Sat Jan 30, 2016 9:53 am

TTFTCUTS wrote:
Number of polygons is hardly a problem for modern hardware. You can push millions, if not billions of polygons without slowdowns - it's the rest that's the problem. In terms of poly count, Reassembly is likely quite low by standards set almost a decade ago. The shading is obviously more modern though, and yeah, it's quite possible that the shields (and definitely the glows) are on quads.

The idea of pushing millions of polygons requires a GPU, right? This really interests me as I remember playing a lot of 2D games that ran very fast, but didn't have a requirement for a GPU to be present, which allowed the game to be less reliant on specific hardware, allowing it to be universally playable across no matter what computer I was using.

I'm curious to know if a Reassembly like game (using alternative methods for graphics and effects) would be possible to make with the same level of shape density for a low-end device that may not even have a GPU?

Sat Jan 30, 2016 9:56 am

Splinterman wrote:
Also as a side note, although pixel shaders can do a lot of amazing things efficiently, if you have a lot of large overlapping quads, it will start biting into your performance.

I'm happy you mentioned that, it could mean a difference when I really dig into the information. Thanks! : )

Sat Jan 30, 2016 9:58 am
Site Admin

You pretty much figured it out but just to give a definitive answer: it ultimately draws everything with polygons via OpenGL. The shields are a bunch of very narrow triangles that meet in the center, and the number of vertices varies depending on the visual size of the shield. In a sense I just wrote a simple vector graphics API on top of OpenGL. The "meshes" are all generated by the game. It could conceivably texture map the blocks (or anything else).

Particles are drawn using a special shader - just the center point and the size/color, starting position and velocity are passed to the shader. The code for this (and the vector drawing stuff) are actually on my github account if you want to see the details. See Graphics.h/cpp and Particles.h/cpp and data/shaders.lua. https://github.com/manylegged/outlaws-core

The auras are Worley noise, aka a voronoi diagram. Also drawn using a special shader (ShaderWorley). It divides the screen up into rectangles are renders each separately - turn on "debug WORLEY" to see it go.

The bloom and some dithering stuff to reduce color banding are fullscreen postprocessing shaders.

I feel like there is a lot more interesting/sophisticated stuff that could be done here with regard to graphics. I wish the backgrounds felt a little more 3d or something. Some kind of screen-warping postprocessing effects could be really cool for certain weapons.

I think it would be possible to do something like Reassembly (minus postprocessing and less particle effects) with completely software rendering, especially if you were OK with reducing the resolution a little bit. It would take a significant chunk of the CPU on older machines though, leaving less room for physics and AI. GPUs are really ubiquitous these days though, it's pretty much impossible to buy a computer without a GPU, even low end smartphones and 10 year old PCs have GPUs.

Tue Feb 23, 2016 11:11 pm

Geometry wars 3D gets away with "warping" space around ships and bullets by incorporating a background mesh that warps when an entity passes over it, could be interesting to see in reassembly.

Wed Feb 24, 2016 7:20 am

Quote:
I wish the backgrounds felt a little more 3d or something.

You could probably do this cheaply by having stars on separate layers that shift slightly as you move.

Wed Feb 24, 2016 12:57 pm

sumplkrum wrote:
Quote:
I wish the backgrounds felt a little more 3d or something.

You could probably do this cheaply by having stars on separate layers that shift slightly as you move.

This is already in the game, though as individual stars at different depths within a sector.

• InfraSpatia - Disjointed aliens with spinal guns
  • Systems Coalition Remnant - Turbo-rectangles with stacking guns
  • Roiders - Cities and drills
Make your own with the Reassembly Web Development Kit!

Wed Feb 24, 2016 1:12 pm

TTFTCUTS wrote:
This is already in the game, though as individual stars at different depths within a sector.

Yeah, look at that. I was thinking they were stationary. ... :lol:

Wed Feb 24, 2016 7:16 pm

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f ... =467290220

;p

Thu Feb 25, 2016 3:22 am
Reply to topic   [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2